• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency behaviour

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency behaviour

I went for an interview a week ago now, I was told at interview that basically I had got the back and I should wait for the agency to contact me to progress. They discussed rate with me at interview and I had agreed at the time.

After thinking about it and doing further research into accomodation costs in the South I realised that it would be more costly than I thought so the next day I contacted agency and asked them if I could re-negotiate a slightly higher rate.

I contacted the agency and they said they had an offer for me which they were going to send out but after me letting them know that I would like to re-negotiate they said that they would speak to the hiring manager. This was a week ago now and everytime I call I feel that I am fobbed off with excuses that the particular agent is in meetings or on another call and that I should leave a message. I managed to speak to the agent yesterday and she said that she has not been able to get a hold of the hiring manager yet and will give me an update as soon as she can.

This has been going on a week and I feel like I am hanging on not knowing what is going on. Am I being too inpatient or is the agent up to no good? I mean how long is reasonable to wait for an update on the rate or am I being too pushy? I asked when I would start and she said its ongoing and still have to recruit more people so that doesn't directly answer my question. Am I being fobbed off? She did she that there was an offer for me but she said she hasnt sent it yet as she wants to speak to the hiring manager with regards to my request. I traveled north to south for the interview and I feel that the way in which the agent is acting is very rude.

Any thoughts on what is going on? Is the agent telling the truth, I mean does it really take a week to get hold of a hiring manager to ask a question and for them to give a yes or no answer....?

They're looking for someone else to do the role for the original rate. I would take this time to look for another role

Comment

Are they? I didn't say no to the original rate just wanted to see if they were open to re-negotiation and if not then I would accept original rate.

Comment

and is it likely that the agency have even spoke to the client with regards to my negotiations? It's starting to seem like they don't intend to....

Comment

Originally posted by Debz View Post
          and is it likely that the agency have even spoke to the client with regards to my negotiations?
          Nope
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

They've told the client you've turned down their offer and are busy getting in other interviews for the role at the original rate. You've blown it I'm afraid...

Comment

If that is the case then why have they told me that they are waiting to speak to the hiring manager. I have never said that I wasnt happy with original rate just wondered if they could offer more as I was told the rate I was put forward for was not the threshold. If I have blown it then why not just tell me that my re-negotiations have been rejected and do I want to proceed with original offer or not.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                They've told the client you've turned down their offer and are busy getting in other interviews for the role at the original rate. You've blown it I'm afraid...
                That wouldnt make sense as I agreed with the client at interview that I was happy to take the job at the original rate. I just asked if I could re-negotiate with the agency. I did not reject the offer.

Comment

It could be that the role has disappeared for other reasons. Agents aren't the best at being upfront and honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Debz View Post
                    If that is the case then why have they told me that they are waiting to speak to the hiring manager. I have never said that I wasnt happy with original rate just wondered if they could offer more as I was told the rate I was put forward for was not the threshold. If I have blown it then why not just tell me that my re-negotiations have been rejected and do I want to proceed with original offer or not.
                    Agents lie.

Really - it's gone, take hit of growsum and move on up! As soon as there is the slightest hint of disinterest from the agent drop it, schoolboy stuff really....

Comment

Working...
                    X