• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top 15 Recruitment Agency tricks...!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd argue the problem you have is that the agent has put a crappy description because he doesn't know what he's talking about so it might look like a generalist spec but it's not what the client actually wants.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I'd argue the problem you have is that the agent has put a crappy description because he doesn't know what he's talking about so it might look like a generalist spec but it's not what the client actually wants.
      In these cases I do know what the client wants, I have seen their websites and their own jobspecs.

Comment

Both of those are 'it just happens' stories. Nothing new there at all. Might be genuine, might not be. It doesn't matter. What matters is you should have fired and forgot rather than holding on to them. There a 100 reasons you might not have got them but you should have already moved on after the first week.

If you can't handle a bit of this you are going to have a very torrid time contracting.

No you shouldn't contact the client. They'll have you down as a desperate trouble maker from the off which isn't the best first impression.
        Agree with nluk. Wasting your time chasing recruiters etc. Or waiting for updates. Lifes to short to stress about it.

If an interview or anything happens it happens. If client phones agent and wants to interview you, you can bet agent will walk 20 miles over broken glass if needs be to get hold of you.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wogewwabbit View Post
          In these cases I do know what the client wants, I have seen their websites and their own jobspecs.
          So, do away with the wastrels, apply to the clientco directly. You should go down a storm, not many contractors do the research you have done, do they?

Comment

Originally posted by Taita View Post
            So, do away with the wastrels, apply to the clientco directly. You should go down a storm, not many contractors do the research you have done, do they?
            Now that's not really going to work. Clients use agents for a reason.

Comment

I don't think it would work like that, and I would never do that anyway. I only know one guy who found a client without an agency, and even he was forced to choose an agent as the clientco refused to pay him directly.
              Also it happens that clients only make contract payments quarterly, so when you are being paid by the agent it's from their own money for a while.

Comment

Exactly. Clients use agents because its easier for them.

If some cock decides they're going to contact them direct CV is going in the bin I would imagine.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Exactly. Clients use agents because its easier for them.

If some cock decides they're going to contact them direct CV is going in the bin I would imagine.
                  Nope.

They will interview you and tell the agency to sort out the contract and payment terms.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I know you understood the irony and that you have a mission to educate the uninitiated, Great Guru!
                    Last edited by Taita; 1 April 2016, 18:58.

Comment

I know you understood the irony and that you have a mission to educate the uninitiated, Great Guru!
                      Ahhh I see what you did now.

Comment

Working...
                      X