• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client accidentally told me rate they pay - weird conversation.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    They found you the contract. They pay you before they get paid. They have the risk that they will not get paid. Some organizations believe that having an agency stops them being liable for having their contractors claim they are employees.

Have I just agreed with DA?

Banks always insist agencies take a set margin.
    I agree. But I do tend to think sometimes that the margin that they take is initially based on the work they did to get the gig, plus ongoing, assuming it only lasts the initial 3 months.

When extension time comes around, I reckon they're raking it in.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      I wonder if your contract has a clause that says you can't do this for this exact reason?
      Nope doesnt

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        I agree. But I do tend to think sometimes that the margin that they take is initially based on the work they did to get the gig, plus ongoing, assuming it only lasts the initial 3 months.

When extension time comes around, I reckon they're raking it in.
        Why not put some numbers down on paper and work it out?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Nope doesnt
          Really? thought that was commonplace? "Do not discuss rate with anyone at client"

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            Really? thought that was commonplace? "Do not discuss rate with anyone at client"
            It's not commonplace. It could possibly be in the upper contract but we don't see that. It is common sense in most cases though.

Be interesting to know if the client manager that didn't know how the agency works (I still find the whole thing very hard to believe though) is so upset about how all this works he will try and get a permie in rather than waste money and the OP has put his contract at risk.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 3 July 2015, 11:38.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I was always told that by agents on the phone or in an email; I'm not sure it was ever in the contract.

Everybody would be a lot less suspicious of agents if they were just honest and up front with everyone of their fees. Nearly all businesses advertise their prices; why not agents?
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The agent business model doesn't look so good if both parties aren't kept in the dark.

Could well be that PC's end client is newly promoted into a hiring position and unaware of the "value-add" that agencies do sourcing the creme de la creme to come and work for them.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Why not put some numbers down on paper and work it out?
                  There are these marvellous new devices called "calculators" and "spreadsheets". Do try them sometime....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    It's not commonplace. It could possibly be in the upper contract but we don't see that. It is common sense in most cases though.

Be interesting to know if the client manager that didn't know how the agency works (I still find the whole thing very hard to believe though) is so upset about how all this works he will try and get a permie in rather than waste money and the OP has put his contract at risk.
                    Nope hes not the guy who deals with the contracts - another manager does this and he knows the score.

This other guy keeps telling me the contractors dont cost him an awful lot more than the permies with pension, NI, sick, training etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                      The agent business model doesn't look so good if both parties aren't kept in the dark.

Could well be that PC's end client is newly promoted into a hiring position and unaware of the "value-add" that agencies do sourcing the creme de la creme to come and work for them.
                      I am creamy then

Comment

Working...
                      X