• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client accidentally told me rate they pay - weird conversation.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I was always told that by agents on the phone or in an email; I'm not sure it was ever in the contract.

Everybody would be a lot less suspicious of agents if they were just honest and up front with everyone of their fees. Nearly all businesses advertise their prices; why not agents?
    Always said that - if agents were up front about margins it would be better. I worked client once where the agents underhand dealings nearly meant the agency got the boot along with assocaited contractors.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      They found you the contract. They pay you before they get paid. They have the risk that they will not get paid. Some organizations believe that having an agency stops them being liable for having their contractors claim they are employees.

Have I just agreed with DA?

Banks always insist agencies take a set margin.
      WHS

Some of the contractors on here are so righteous and so ******* naïve it beggers belief. Factoring is one of the biggest costs there is.
      If an agency takes the risk, it could be ages before they are paid. My company has pushed companies out to two months after invoice, and that's on an invoice after a month (so effectively three). The contractors with the agency I used bitched because a couple of days after they got invoice they hadn't been paid by the agent.

One threatened to not come in. I told him not to waste my time as the hiring manager and if he says it again he'll be gone by the end of the day.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        WHS

Some of the contractors on here are so righteous and so ******* naïve it beggers belief. Factoring is one of the biggest costs there is.
        If an agency takes the risk, it could be ages before they are paid. My company has pushed companies out to two months after invoice, and that's on an invoice after a month (so effectively three). The contractors with the agency I used bitched because a couple of days after they got invoice they hadn't been paid by the agent.

One threatened to not come in. I told him not to waste my time as the hiring manager and if he says it again he'll be gone by the end of the day.
        +1... Agencies remove risk and having seen companies go belly up I'll gladly let them take the risk...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          +1... Agencies remove risk and having seen companies go belly up I'll gladly let them take the risk...
          You worry too much! Work for a bank! Its all fine. As I was saying to my friend who worked at Lehmans....

Comment

It's an interesting model. Especially a Contractor Plan B. As most agencies factor (I bet DA does), those who have actually built up their own cash reserves and have a mature model must be raking it in. I wonder what the tax benefits could be.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              You worry too much! Work for a bank! Its all fine. As I was saying to my friend who worked at Lehmans....
              I watched boo.com start the dotcom crash....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That's on Suity's resume.

Comment

That's on Suity's resume.
                  I thought that was boohoo.com

Comment

I worked for CRedit Lyonnaise Netherlands who bought a $1m USD VAX computer with financing from Atlantic computers. When they got the invoice, instead of passing it onto them, they paid Atlantic Computers $1m. Next day they went bust!

Comment

WHS

If client said that to me they wouldn't have to wait for me to say it again....
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X