• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client accidentally told me rate they pay - weird conversation.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client accidentally told me rate they pay - weird conversation.

Not the first time this has happened in the past....

Anyway, client manager whos a decent fella sent me the confirmation to confirm my extension was sorted but it displayed the rate they pay not the one I get. So I found out the margin. Pleased it was pretty ok to be honest.

So I told the guy - look you probably shouldn't be showing me that one because it shows me your rate. He didn't realise I got less than this so I told him. Out of interest, he asked me what agency provided with this money - umm nothing apart from paying my invoices for me. He thought they provided sick/holiday pay out of this or something.

Hes gone off now muttering about agency getting hundreds of pounds a week for **** all. Oh dear....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Anyway, client manager whos a decent fella sent me the confirmation to confirm my extension was sorted but it displayed the rate they pay not the one I get. So I found out the margin. Pleased it was pretty ok to be honest.

So I told the guy - look you probably shouldn't be showing me that one because it shows me your rate. He didn't realise I got less than this so I told him. Out of interest, he asked me what agency provided with this money - umm nothing apart from paying my invoices for me. He thought they provided sick/holiday pay out of this or something.

Hes gone off now muttering about agency getting hundreds of pounds a week for **** all. Oh dear....
    They found you the contract. They pay you before they get paid. They have the risk that they will not get paid. Some organizations believe that having an agency stops them being liable for having their contractors claim they are employees.

Have I just agreed with DA?

Banks always insist agencies take a set margin.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      They found you the contract. They pay you before they get paid. They have the risk that they will not get paid. Some organizations believe that having an agency stops them being liable for having their contractors claim they are employees.
      Not entirely. They pass the non-payment risk on to you with a clause in the contract saying you won't get paid if they don't.

Agencies getting paid ongoing for apparently doing little (ongoing) (once the contract is in place) is a bit of a thing. It's a different industry, but Foxtons the letting agents recently lost a case for charging landlords in a similar way, leading to a change in the law. However their contracts were consumer, or something, whereas ours are B2B.

Comment

I wonder if your contract has a clause that says you can't do this for this exact reason?

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
          Not entirely. They pass the non-payment risk on to you with a clause in the contract saying you won't get paid if they don't.
          And that's one reason not to opt out.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Out of interest what wa sthe percentage rate the agency were taking?

Comment

So what's the story here? Your client manager is an utter moron? Anything else that stops this from being in general?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Am direct with current client, just started. Agency also pinged me about the same role, top rate they were offering was £50 quid a day less than I'm getting. I declined

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Your client manager is an utter moron?
                  I assumed that was a given
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    I assumed that was a given
                    That's harsh. PC might have nailed his interview...
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X