• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question re contract cancelled before started

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    You a member of IPSE?
    To play devils advocate... could you explain to the OP why this is relevant just so he knows where to look?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks. I hadn't joined IPSE - was my first venture back into contracting and I just hadn't got around to it.

Re opt-out. I haven't signed an op-out and no mention of timesheet required in contract.

Rgds

Comment

Originally posted by Leightonr View Post
        I recently left full time employment to return to contracting. However, having signed a contract, worked my notice and left my permanent job, one working day before the contract was due to start I got a phone call to say that the contract had been cancelled.
        The notice clause in the contract says
        The date preceded that date that I was notified of cancellation but the actual starting date specified in the schedule was one working day later than when I had been notified.
        Here's the thing - I expected to be paid two weeks notice. The sudden cancellation has caused some cash flow problems but the Agency say that they are not going to pay
        Anybody experienced anything similar and have any advice.
        Surely if you've 'returned to contracting' you know that this possibility exists? I find it strange that you are surprised at having a contract canned before you start.

If you intend to carry on like this, then I think a return to permiedom to save your mental health is called for.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Back in 1997, I had a contract delayed a week. Then two days before I was due to start, it was cancelled. The agency was paid the notice period by the client (Enron!) and the agency paid me. The agency could have kept the money and I'd have been none the wiser - but they were honest. I'm not entirely convinced that all agencies would be that honest. However,if the agency has been paid the notice period, it might strengthen a claim made against them - even though the contract is between you and the agency and the higher contract should, strictly, be irrelevant.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            Surely if you've 'returned to contracting' you know that this possibility exists? I find it strange that you are surprised at having a contract canned before you start.

If you intend to carry on like this, then I think a return to permiedom to save your mental health is called for.
            Contracted from 1992 to 2004 and never happened before - maybe I was lucky

Comment

I'd normally say that this is part of being a business - you need that capital to start with to cover unforeseen cashflow issues.

But... the government seems to view most of us as most definitely not being businesses these days. Which makes me wonder how our contracts and any disputes can reasonably be arbitrated in respect to a b2b relationship.

Comment

Have you checked your contract doesn't have a clause in it near the beginning that states something along the lines that if the contract is cancelled for any reason the agency doesn't owe you any money e.g expenses?

If not get it looked at by someone with legal knowledge, then decide if you want to put your energy in chasing 2 weeks of invoice or a new contract which could last months/years.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Meanwhile, I am finding it hard to imagine the agency having the same "oh well, better walk away" attitude to the money they thought they were going to get off the client.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    Meanwhile, I am finding it hard to imagine the agency having the same "oh well, better walk away" attitude to the money they thought they were going to get off the client.
                    Possibly but they can also be at the mercy of the client and they do get shafted the same way we do at times. They will be much more used to it than we are as individuals and it's only a blip in their revenue stream as the client is likely to want more contractors in the future.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      To play devils advocate... could you explain to the OP why this is relevant just so he knows where to look?
                      Cant remember if its IPSE or IPSE+ membership that you need for this but basically they will pay out a certain amount "maybe" if the agent does something like this.

I claimed once when a similar thing happened to me and to be fair to IPSe they came good. It was only a days notice in the contract but they paid this out.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X