• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Capita insurances: employers/liability/PI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilou View Post

As for PI, happy to take it, (well, sort of), so won't ask about that
    If you buy public liability insurance then you get employers liability insurance thrown in for free.

The reason you need public liability insurance is that some sites - including government ones - have more than one company's workers on them. This includes areas like lobbies, stairs and lifts. So if you accidentally poor coffee over someone, trip someone up, etc then your insurance will pay out.

Also the government at all levels mostly self-insures and their lawyers can be very litigious. This means they will chase you for money however if you have an insurer who has happy to either fight them or pay up you will be left alone.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      If you have a RoS, you can potentially use subbies or even your own employees. If so, you must have ELI, that's the law (albeit one not that many know about). It costs about fourpence, so not worth worrying about, just get it as part of the package.
      Utter bulltulip as usual. Until you have an employee, you do not need EL insurance. Just because you have a clause to use a subbie doesnt mean you're an employer.

No wonder the PCG ****ed up IR35 \ AWR negotiations.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Utter bulltulip as usual. Until you have an employee, you do not need EL insurance. Just because you have a clause to use a subbie doesnt mean you're an employer.

No wonder the PCG ****ed up IR35 \ AWR negotiations.
        Go look up the relevant legislation, or ask someone who understands it and try again.

And this is nothing to do with IPSE. Sorry to burst your little bubble.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Capita gig's in the public sector are not for the faint hearted.
          So so true.

OP - if you haven't done do already, take a good read of the Public Sector Contracting sticky...

Comment

Not necessarily it depends on the structure of your limited company.

Also the act has the word compulsory in it....
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Capita gig's in the public sector are not for the faint hearted.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. Two months in and I'm completely convinced I've forgotten something important/signed the wrong forms/going to prison for tax evasion/ etc etc.

It's a great gig but I'm going back to the private sector after this.

Comment

Until you have an employee, you do not need EL insurance.
                Unless the contract demands it. In which case, you do need to have it.

Whether it has an impact on IR35 or anything else is a moot point - the agency is demanding it so if they won't negotiate you either get it or walk away.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                X