• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asking client for work ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking client for work ...

Recently started a new contract the work seems a little dry though and not much to do.
    I've sent an email ask if there is anything additional I can be doing but this only results in a days additional work .... I'm resistant to move as this is my first contract and close to home.

Any ideas ?

Do you know anything about IR35 at all. You are a contractor taken on to do a specific task. If that task has dried up you inform the client you are invoking your notice as you have completed what you were brought in to do and leave.

Asking for more work and being given it makes a disguised permie as you are now working out of the scope of your project.

Contractors shouldn't be asking these questions.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Do you know anything about IR35 at all. You are a contractor taken on to do a specific task. If that task has dried up you inform the client you are invoking your notice as you have completed what you were brought in to do and leave.

Asking for more work and being given it makes a disguised permie as you are now working out of the scope of your project.

Contractors shouldn't be asking these questions.
      It depends how you ask and whether you are able to arrange for contract amendments if appropriate.

There is nothing wrong with selling additional services to your client. And by doing that you are no more at risk of being found inside IR35 if you are investigated and no more likely to be investigated because of it.

IMO.

Comment

If there's no work, I clear off until there is work. This saves the client money and I can get on with something more productive. Like posting here all day.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
          It depends how you ask and whether you are able to arrange for contract amendments if appropriate.

There is nothing wrong with selling additional services to your client. And by doing that you are no more at risk of being found inside IR35 if you are investigated and no more likely to be investigated because of it.

IMO.
          Absolutely but this requires and understanding of your situation, process to do so and ramifications of not doing it properly. OP is nowhere near any of those yet. Even if you do there is the risk that when HMRC speak to your client he says it as it is to him. Contractor asked me for more work so gave him something else. Makes the paperwork trail a bit useless.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

One of my Bentleys needs a wash...

Comment

It is quite possible the OP's client has promised work that has not materialised.

In this case, I would put up with it for a few days. Then ask around your co-workers. For example there might be a project manager who is supposed to be feeding you work but has forgotten/busy with other stuff/on holiday. Ask around.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                One of my Bentleys needs a wash...
                Oi. Cadillac....?
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

So then none of you just sit there twiddling your thumbs, surfin' the net, playing games on your phone and carry on invoicing ?

Comment

absolutely none

Comment

Working...
                    X