• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Been at client 12 months - WFH approach?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been at client 12 months - WFH approach?

Decent gig but its value would increase 100% for me if they'd only allow WFH even one day per week.
    Its a hell of a trek every day /stay over so even one day where Im home and/or not got massive commute would make a difference. Family situation also makes things difficult.

But even the permies can rarely swing it due to one hard ass manager. Although the senior guy is happy, the fella in between is dead against and hes tends not to overrule him.

Been there a while so they know I know my tulip and dont take the piss. How to politely tell them, yeh I want to stay but only if you agree to this WFH idea one day per week....

Don;t really want to come on too strong and demand it....

Long and short of its not in your contract you have to go on good will from the client, and sounds like that's not very forthcoming.

Even if you manage to secure it you will piss off the permits who will start whining and any practices negotiated will dry up.

If you are at extension time you can float the idea of a rate rise, or WFH, but as with the dual advice you need to be prepared to walk or risk never having an opportunity again at the client
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I've worked for client managers that hate WFH as a principle and found if they don't like permies doing a contractor would have no chance especially if it is a regular thing as you are suggesting. It will drive the locals nuts if you get it. The only chance I'd say you have is to make it clear it's a deal breaker and you get it or you leave. The only thing that might be more hassle to the client manager than his permies complaining is having to get a new contractor...but I doubt it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I've worked for client managers that hate WFH as a principle and found if they don't like permies doing a contractor would have no chance especially if it is a regular thing as you are suggesting. It will drive the locals nuts if you get it. The only chance I'd say you have is to make it clear it's a deal breaker and you get it or you leave. The only thing that might be more hassle to the client manager than his permies complaining is having to get a new contractor...but I doubt it.
        Agree, there are just some people who want you where they can see you, especially if you are a contractor.

It's a mix of micro-management, suspicion, and no idea how to manage properly. (Of course there are some idiots who do spoil WFH for the rest of us)

Extension time is the perfect time to ask: "I'd love to stay, but the travel is really tough for me. I know that's not your problem, but if I could get 1 or 2 days WFH, I'd be happy to stay".

Comment

At renewal time push hard for 2 days WFH and when they kick it back, *reluctantly* agree that you could make 1 day WFH work.

Comment

As everyone else already pointed out, best to bring it up on renewal and be 100% prepared to walk, as the chances of getting it are slim and if they call your bluff once...

Even if you do end up getting it the permies will go amok seeing a contractor getting special treatment they no doubt believe is owed first to them.

Bottom line is either way be prepared to look for something else pronto.

Comment

Originally posted by paulinefowlersgrowler View Post
              Decent gig but its value would increase 100% for me if they'd only allow WFH even one day per week.
              Its a hell of a trek every day /stay over so even one day where Im home and/or not got massive commute would make a difference. Family situation also makes things difficult.

But even the permies can rarely swing it due to one hard ass manager. Although the senior guy is happy, the fella in between is dead against and hes tends not to overrule him.

Been there a while so they know I know my tulip and dont take the piss. How to politely tell them, yeh I want to stay but only if you agree to this WFH idea one day per week....

Don;t really want to come on too strong and demand it....
              Call me a cynic but the grammar and tone of this question sounds very like PCs regular tales of woe... are you him?

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                Call me a cynic but the grammar and tone of this question sounds very like PCs regular tales of woe... are you him?
                You had to ask
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                  If it's not PC, it's his twin brother ...

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    You had to ask
                    What's the point in posting from a different account (or even having more than one account on here)?

Comment

Working...
                    X