• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shinier contract offer VS long term game

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shinier contract offer VS long term game

Hi there, first time poster, long time lurker

My question relates to choosing between contract opportunities

If given the choice would you rather:

A) a less interesting, lower rate contract but in a highly established global firm with possibility for many renewals I.e. Long term business opportunity

B) an immediately satisfying role more related to your preferred technical areas, slightly higher rate, BUT a relatively unknown client of less prestige, and uncertainty regarding plausibility of future renewals?

I can imagine the "true businessman" should opt for Longer term, but then as they say, all contracts are 1 week rolling when it comes down to it...

Run a credit check on B then take it. If you're good enough they'll extend for as long as you're needed.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by thelastrosbif View Post
      Hi there, first time poster, long time lurker

My question relates to choosing between contract opportunities

If given the choice would you rather:

A) a less interesting, lower rate contract but in a highly established global firm with possibility for many renewals I.e. Long term business opportunity

B) an immediately satisfying role more related to your preferred technical areas, slightly higher rate, BUT a relatively unknown client of less prestige, and uncertainty regarding plausibility of future renewals?

I can imagine the "true businessman" should opt for Longer term, but then as they say, all contracts are 1 week rolling when it comes down to it...
      WTF!? You'll be asking about career progression next.

Im in contracting for one thing and one thing only, to make as much money as I can. Prestige, interest or 'satisfaction dont come into it.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Don't plan on the assumption renewals are on tap. Take the gig to be as long as the period on the contract.
        I've seen people come to gig's where the client has a reputation they never get rid of contractors and only done 3 months. They look crestfallen. Saying that, the long term option isn't that good either, one of the clients I have mind is just full of IR35 targets.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you're in it for 'job security' get a permie job and close the door behind you.
          As others are saying, make as much money while you can (skills and tax wise) and get the boring gig in 10 years time when you must.

Comment

Working...
          X