• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Psychology of long contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been in current contract for nearly ten years. I've certainly been there longer than most of the permanent staff. The lass who used to sit opposite me is now my boss's boss and holds the budget that pays for me. I've been offered a permie role twice - in both cases declined, and the job was taken by my two now colleagues.

Since they've come to know me and my work, I've found things have actually got easier and more flexible. It is absolutely clear that I'm an external. I'm rarely invited to team dinners etc. On occasion I'm invited but I must pay for myself. Occasionally they pick up the entire tab. When budgets were cut and my colleagues protested (as they needed me for some tasks), the boss said "It's either cut using NAT, or reducing your salaries - and I can't do the latter."
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      I've been in current contract for nearly ten years. I've certainly been there longer than most of the permanent staff. The lass who used to sit opposite me is now my boss's boss and holds the budget that pays for me. I've been offered a permie role twice - in both cases declined, and the job was taken by my two now colleagues.

Since they've come to know me and my work, I've found things have actually got easier and more flexible. It is absolutely clear that I'm an external. I'm rarely invited to team dinners etc. On occasion I'm invited but I must pay for myself. Occasionally they pick up the entire tab. When budgets were cut and my colleagues protested (as they needed me for some tasks), the boss said "It's either cut using NAT, or reducing your salaries - and I can't do the latter."
      Is this a wind up?

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
        Is this a wind up?
        NAT doesn't work in the UK. We only have our mess of rules because Government doesn't understand how the skilled freelance market works...

You can see that by the fact we are total collateral damage as the HMRC cut down on abuse in low paid sectors...
        Last edited by eek; 27 August 2015, 14:06.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          NAT doesn't work in the UK. We only have our mess of rules because Government doesn't understand how the skilled freelance market works...

You can see that by the fact we are total collateral damage as the HMRC cut down on abuse in low paid sectors...
          Aah ok, still a 10 year contract takes some doing

Comment

It is interesting, back in the day I went contracting for money and the opportunity to works at various companies and thus gaining insight into different ways of doing things, after 4 gigs at different places I ended at one for 4.5 years however these 4.5 years were made up of moving from one project to new ones as they came up, so for me utopia in a way; project based, easy to get to from home, nice organisation (no politics for me) and in those days rate increase every extension LOL

Comment

Long contracts - good for the bank balance, bad for IR35, bad for the soul. Can't say no to an extension though, even though I would love to retire!
              I get up...

Comment

Originally posted by ClothCap View Post
                Long contracts - good for the bank balance, bad for IR35, bad for the soul. Can't say no to an extension though, even though I would love to retire!
                Indeed, nicely put. Derrek Jensen in his book Endgame, describes work as an exchange of your life (time) for money. But he puts it much better than this, saying, you are effectively selling your fingers and toes often to buy tulip you dont need. So think carefully about selling your life, as those fingers and toes will be gone forever.

The longer contracts expose in sharp contrast the superficial work life, and the real life.

Some contractors I know don't care, its all money in the bank. Others think about the price of exchanging another year of life for something that ultimately doesn't satisfy their personal needs.
                ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Originally posted by lecyclist View Post
                  Indeed, nicely put. Derrek Jensen in his book Endgame, describes work as an exchange of your life (time) for money. But he puts it much better than this, saying, you are effectively selling your fingers and toes often to buy tulip you dont need. So think carefully about selling your life, as those fingers and toes will be gone forever.

The longer contracts expose in sharp contrast the superficial work life, and the real life.

Some contractors I know don't care, its all money in the bank. Others think about the price of exchanging another year of life for something that ultimately doesn't satisfy their personal needs.
                  Interesting argument.

I work with a few contractors like that. NEVER take a day off. All they focus on is how soon they can pay off their mortgage.

For me its all about having enough money to do what I want with my life, buy things for my kids/take them on holidays....
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

You can have a long contract and still take regular breaks. In fact, if you're in a longer contract, for your own health and sanity you must schedule proper time off for yourself. I've had 6 weeks off this year so far; also I'm rarely on site five days in a week. I generally enjoy my work. But enjoy not working more (income notwithstanding).
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      You can have a long contract and still take regular breaks. In fact, if you're in a longer contract, for your own health and sanity you must schedule proper time off for yourself. I've had 6 weeks off this year so far; also I'm rarely on site five days in a week. I generally enjoy my work. But enjoy not working more (income notwithstanding).
                      Agree with you. I take probably more holidays than I did as a permie even during long gigs.

Clients seem to fall into two camps. One will moan that you take loads of holidays (ignore these and carry on), one will moan if you don't take holidays and come across as a money grabbing git....

Like I said, two guys here who never ever take a day off. I tell them its lucky I take loads of hols to free up some budget for them to money grab :-)
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X