• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Psychology of long contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    ...and start requesting holidays ...
    ]Requesting holidays is very far away from explaining to the client that you won't be available as you are taking a holiday. My accountant tells me when he's away and usually explains why (holiday, training, secure hospital for the criminally insane...)

It seems that contractors fall into two camps. Those who frequently have moaning clients and those who's clients are happy with their work.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      ]Requesting holidays is very far away from explaining to the client that you won't be available as you are taking a holiday. My accountant tells me when he's away and usually explains why (holiday, training, secure hospital for the criminally insane...)

It seems that contractors fall into two camps. Those who frequently have moaning clients and those who's clients are happy with their work.
      It is indeed. The point I was making was that there are plenty of contractors that do request holidays and the client approves/rejects these as he would a permie which could be part of the problem with clients perception of that contractor. Anyway, I've been duly served so I'll drop it now.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 2 September 2015, 12:24.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

However it is polite to check you won't be leaving anyone in the lurch, and giving due warning, rather than issuing an edict about your availability to demonstrate how independent you are.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Over 3.5 years at my current 'gig'. Started as a contractor, negotiating a decent 6 figure rate+, then turning to the darkside after a year or so & negotiating a straight swap (salary = contract rate + options + equity). So I moved to a 121 match in terms of paper salary, but would have lost out on divvy tax versus permie tax by 15/20%.

Options + equity have since kicked in, and with additional grants at +1,+2 years, I now take home 2.5 x my contract takehome.

I remember arguing with someone senior in the US at a 'do' about how I preferred contracting and I felt so much more in control of my destiny & how well I was doing. Why should I tie myself to 'equity' in these companies. He told me I was an idiot and didn't know what I was talking about. 3 years later, I realize he was right and I was wrong. There are levels above contracting & with the budget changes most of you will realize that.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Options + equity have since kicked in, and with additional grants at +1,+2 years, I now take home 2.5 x my contract takehome...
            But £10 an hour cleaning toilets to £25 an hour as toilet cleaning supervisor is hardly germane to the conversation.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Options + equity have since kicked in
              How much toilet roll can a man use?
              ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                But £10 an hour cleaning toilets to £25 an hour as toilet cleaning supervisor is hardly germane to the conversation.
                I've seen MFs toilets, skid marks all around the rim, if I was Mr Arimitage Shanks I would be demanding my equity options back

Comment

Working...
                X