• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Notice period?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It does happen that contractors at times do have valid reason to break out of contract early, and do agree that there are ways of doing this whilst remaining on good terms.

I don't however know why so many on here get hung up over this - if you need to move on, have a grown up discussion with clientco and simply agree a mutual exit plan.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      No notice period specified means no notice can be given. Barclays have this and it's becoming more common.
      Time to start reading your contracts and understanding them before you sign them.

Oh and good luck in your career if you are going to breach contract with a bank to go with another one. It's a surprisingly small world.
      Agreed, had the same with UBS, although it was stated I couldn't give them notice, apart from in the first week, otherwise the contract was to run full term.

Banking in the city is very small, people move around a lot, networking is high.
      I usually know most things going on in my area, whos doing it, who they are working with, rates etc. etc.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Contractor Notice period?

How about this?

It's fine, there'll be no issues and your client won't mind one bit.

That the answer you wanted?

Comment

In movies you're six steps from Kevin Bacon.

In investment banking in London, you're three steps from your next hiring manager.
          We've just taken a couple of contractors on and they are indirectly known to us.

As someone said, you're now a business, not a worker. Most banks have a change freeze over the Christmas period, so offer to have your contract start on Jan 4th.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            Im surprised you didnt cane them for using the words 'my employer'!
            Good spot. Got tempted by the low hanging fruit and missed that one.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Underbase View Post
              This includes talking to the last responsible manager
              This is a new one on me and I'd be extremely surprised if HR allowed any line manager to give a direct reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                This is a new one on me and I'd be extremely surprised if HR allowed any line manager to give a direct reference.
                I've only known them being asked for confirmation of dates, at least on an official basis.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by EMA View Post
                  Good evening,

I really looking for some advice relating to notice periods that should be given.

I work at a City Bank as a limited company, through an employment agency, and was contracted to work from June 2015 until Dec 24th 2015. I have been approached by another company with a job offer that must begin by the 14th December. My contract has absolutely no entires relating to a termination notice period or resignation notice period. It merely states that my contract is 'Likely to end on 24th Dec 2015, but may be extended or a permenant role offered'.

I want to go forward with the new role at another city bank, if offered. But I have to start on the 14th Dec. Am I right in presuming that I can give 'reasonable notice' to my employer? It's only been a 6 month contract and I have only worked for this bank for this period. My payment cycle is weekly, after submitting hours worked to my agency. Would 1 month's notice suffice? Am I permitted to end a contract early with no 'notice period' mentioned in the contract? I assume that either party can cease the agreement at any time with 'reasonble' notice given....or am I missing something?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks & kind regards.
                  How well do you get on with the client manager ? You could have a word with him/her. If they're pragmatic and you can deliver what's been expected of you by 11th, they shouldn't have a problem. If it is a contractor heavy environment that you work in, you should probably have less of an issue

People move, businesses re-negotiate, deadlines change, requirements change, etc, etc - life goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by EMA View Post
                    Thanks again for the reasonable reply...'Mr Forum Personality of the year' was so very helpful, polite and constructive!
                    Aw, has someone on the internet been a little rude to you, poor thing!!

How on earth do/will you cope working in IB's??

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                      Aw, has someone on the internet been a little rude to you, poor thing!!

How on earth do/will you cope working in IB's??
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X