• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anybody know the significance of agencies asking "what is your current rate"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anybody know the significance of agencies asking "what is your current rate"?

Agencies seem to ask for this information these days - "what is your current rate"?

Is there any specific significance to that - from our point of view, that is?

My rate has been very high TBH, and given that the agencies seem to ask for the current rate (the reason they quote is that the clients want to know this as important information (do they really?)), I am kind of thinking that we should be careful not to pick any low rate roles (under market pressure) since it might come back to hurt us in the future? -i.e. after picking up a low rate role, if we are asked what is our current rate, it will be low? Consequences?

Do clients decide on offer rate based on what our current rate is?
    If so, I would wait for good rate roles around my going high rate, rather than hurry to accept whatever comes by.

If the agencies are asking this information (current rate) just because they can , and it won't affect us if we indeed took up a lower rate role (after having done high rate roles), then its cool.

Any thoughts? Have you had this doubt yourself? Or am i the only one?

Originally posted by Milkyway View Post
    Agencies seem to ask for this information these days - "what is your current rate"?

Is there any specific significance to that - from our point of view, that is?

My rate has been very high TBH, and given that the agencies seem to ask for the current rate (the reason they quote is that the clients want to know this as important information (do they really?)), I am kind of thinking that we should be careful not to pick any low rate roles (under market pressure) since it might come back to hurt us in the future? -i.e. after picking up a low rate role, if we are asked what is our current rate, it will be low? Consequences?

Do clients decide on offer rate based on what our current rate is?
    If so, I would wait for good rate roles around my going high rate, rather than hurry to accept whatever comes by.

If the agencies are asking this information (current rate) just because they can , and it won't affect us if we indeed took up a lower rate role (after having done high rate roles), then its cool.

Any thoughts? Have you had this doubt yourself? Or am i the only one?
    Play the game, tell them your current rate is the one that you want, with the usual proviso that it depends on role/location etc (so if you're on £400, and want £500 when the pimp phones up your current rate is £500, simples!)

Comment

Erm, let me take a wild stab at this one....

It's either...

To find out if he can make a fast buck when you say £350 and he has £500 to spend

or

He only has £250 to spend and if you say £600 then he knows not to waste yours and his time.

There could also be other reasons in the many other threads that are started on this topic of course.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ag...XPCsaMUbu3oLgP
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

He must surely be asking your mortgage interest rate.
        Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Erm, let me take a wild stab at this one....

It's either...

To find out if he can make a fast buck when you say £350 and he has £500 to spend

or

He only has £250 to spend and if you say £600 then he knows not to waste yours and his time.

There could also be other reasons in the many other threads that are started on this topic of course.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ag...XPCsaMUbu3oLgP
          What he said, and unless you're daft the truth is unlikely to be your response if your current rate is a bit meh.

Comment

Given that I work either in London or in the North West then it's irrelevant. Quoting my London rate would give the agent a heart attack for a Manchester role while I wouldn't work in London for my Manchester rate unless Charlize Theron was offering unlimited massages and housing me.

I'm less worried about rate immediately until after I've found out project details - location, duration, etc, and then I can create a rate based on the role.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Current rate is such a shot in the dark anyway. I've accepted a slightly lower paying role in favour of another one purely because its a 6 month initial contract (rather than 3 with the higher paying role) simply because all things being equal I would rather not finish a contract on new years eve

Comment

I always answer with 'How much is the client prepared to pay?'
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Agent: Can I ask you what your current rate is?
                  Me: Sure
                  Agent: Errr... well, what is your current rate?
                  Me: I'd rather not say

Seriously, just bypass the question and say, "for the advertised gig, you're looking at £xxx/day + VAT"
                  Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Reinterpret the question so that your answer isn't untrue. My current rate is the figure I've got in my head right now. I.e. the rate I am looking for, not the rate my current agency is paying me.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X