• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearance not transferred to new employer (Rolls Royce) can someone advise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Clearance not transferred to new employer (Rolls Royce) can someone advise

Can someone please advise me on this.

I had worked for FCO and left them Sept 2014. I have been work for non SC required role since then.

I had an opportunity to work for CDS (and engineering arm of Rolls Royce) this roll was initially for 3 weeks and required clearance. The role was in to begin near end of July 2015 fior three weeks. This would have kept my clearance active, I would have another 1 year window to find a new role. so I was to believe.

After three weeks I had found another contract for Immediate start, so after doing my three week stint at a very low rate (work just to get may clerance validated for another year). I had moved to my new role.

In the mean time the person who was dealiong with my clearance assured me this was going through even after I had left. several months later (this was the time they predicted how long my clearance would take to come across from FCO to Rolls Royce) the originally lady at Rolls Royce has gone on sick leave, Her team had no idea who I am and if I worked at RR, After establishing myself with RR they said it may not be possible as they dont want to go through sick colleagues emails.

In the mean time I am looing at losing my clearance. I could have gone anywhere else to get my clearance but feel I have been taken on on a pretense to get there work done.

Can anyone advise me what I can do, can I take this down a legal road, as this will affect my future contracts and thus my income?

Just been advised today that they are trying to do the best to get it transfrred but they are not being proactive at all.

Originally posted by sonny View Post
    Can someone please advise me on this.

I had worked for FCO and left them Sept 2014. I have been work for non SC required role since then.

I had an opportunity to work for CDS (and engineering arm of Rolls Royce) this roll was initially for 3 weeks and required clearance. The role was in to begin near end of July 2015 fior three weeks. This would have kept my clearance active, I would have another 1 year window to find a new role. so I was to believe.

After three weeks I had found another contract for Immediate start, so after doing my three week stint at a very low rate (work just to get may clerance validated for another year). I had moved to my new role.

In the mean time the person who was dealiong with my clearance assured me this was going through even after I had left. several months later (this was the time they predicted how long my clearance would take to come across from FCO to Rolls Royce) the originally lady at Rolls Royce has gone on sick leave, Her team had no idea who I am and if I worked at RR, After establishing myself with RR they said it may not be possible as they dont want to go through sick colleagues emails.

In the mean time I am looing at losing my clearance. I could have gone anywhere else to get my clearance but feel I have been taken on on a pretense to get there work done.

Can anyone advise me what I can do, can I take this down a legal road, as this will affect my future contracts and thus my income?

Just been advised today that they are trying to do the best to get it transfrred but they are not being proactive at all.
    Let's just break this down for clarity's sake.
    1. You had a contract at Rolls-Royce for 3 weeks (should that be 3 months? you say you left after 3 weeks)
    2. You either took another contract not at R-R or left R-R after 3 weeks.
    3. Now you're complaining that R-R didn't follow though with your clearance - they would gain no benefit from this btw.

YOU have been taken on under pretense?? You had no intention of staying - YOU only wanted SC and dropped the contract like a hot stone once you'd thought you'd got it! R-R took you on under pretense!

So yes sonny jim, you can take it down a legal road, but you'll be laughed at.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

he originally lady at Rolls Royce has gone on sick leave
      <snip>

I could have gone anywhere else to get my clearance but feel I have been taken on on a pretense to get there work done.
      Even though you know someone is off sick, you think they are trying to get one over on you just to get their work done?

I can see how you'd be annoyed, but unless you somehow had the guarantee of getting the clearance written into your contract as some kind of payment, I don't see how you have a leg to stand on

Comment

Right, after rereading the post I think that I understand.

You accepted a 3 week contract with R-R.
        You completed that 3 week contract.

There is no pretense here. Pretense is where you accepted a 3 month contract and they got rid of you after 3 weeks once you had completed the work.

And since you still had SC clearance from the FCO, R-R just used that.

So, no - I doubt that you will get SC clearance from R-R as there's nothing in it for them since you no longer work for them.

And there will still be no legal recourse. It's just a straight-forward business transaction that has come and gone.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Is it wise to spaff your details and which clients you have worked for which required security clearance on internet fora?

Just sayin'
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

They took you on for three weeks. You worked for three weeks. Where's the pretence?

You can take anything you want down a legal road. Whether you would win is a different matter. Before you do, make sure you have clear evidence that you have suffered some kind of deliberate wrong, and that you can show exactly how much you have lost and on what basis. When you have that information, that's the time to talk to a lawyer
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Well, that's an amusing one.

1. RR have no obligation to accept your FCO SC, they agreed to.
              2. RR have no obligation to transfer your SC from the FCO, they started the process, it was stopped (ok the person went sick, but these things happen) and they have no obligation to restart it. Arguably they probably shouldn't restart since you're not there now.
              3. The whole SC is valid for 12 months thing is only custom and practice, arguably it ends the day you leave the role it was granted for.
              4. You've no rights to have SC or to have it kept for you.
              5. You can try legal routes, it will be really funny when the FCO and RR security offices get involved and even if your SC isn't "officially" dead already they will kill it off instantly as you've announced to the world that you're a security risk by screaming you've got clearance. They may even warn the DVA and that means you can't be cleared in future.

Let's see, can you act in a more entitled or silly way in the scenario you posted? Nope it would take a massive effort to do that.

Comment

Is your surname Corleone?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                  Is your surname Corleone?
                  Shut it Fredo.

Comment

So the lesson for the future is don't assume a 3 week gig is long enough to refresh your clearance.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X