• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good agencies in Scotland?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good agencies in Scotland?

As my London contract comes to an end soon and I'm moving my base of operation over the border I'm interested in how to tackle finding a new contract.

What are the agencies that you recommend and are there any to avoid?

Originally posted by zazou View Post
    As my London contract comes to an end soon and I'm moving my base of operation over the border I'm interested in how to tackle finding a new contract.

I'm in Scotland, my current contract is with Hays, invoice weekly, paid weekly, so far so good.

Comment

Don't wanna be rude but you've got it all wrong. You go with whatever agency has the gig you want. If you have a choice due to a multiple PSL then happy days.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Recruitment Zone have been good in the past although their rates dont seem to be 'market.'
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I'm with Parity. So far I have found them to be excellent. Very easy to do time sheets and they pay weekly on the dot (provided the clientco authorise the time sheets on time)

Comment

Originally posted by zazou View Post

How bizarre? There seems to be a trend of London contractors considering Scotland. I'm one and a pal is another - established contractors in the London IB market, though both living equidistant to London and the Scotland market. In fact we have both interviewed today for roles in one of the two major Scottish cities. A few of the investment banks have set up shop there and are growing their presence. Rates are lower than London (unless you push and are in a strong position) and costs significantly less. Downsides are weather and affluence but you can't have it all. Combat that with fantastic scenery, cheap beer and relatively normal people. The thing I've always loved about contracting, and plenty of so called 'contractors' (i.e. disguised permies) don't get this. Contracting to me is about experiences and different chapters. I've seen a few over the 12 years and this may well be another one after a long time in the capital. Perhaps the last one for me as I approach 50. Who knows?

Comment

"disguised permies"? OK if the contractor has been at the same gaff for more than 2 years but otherwise a crock of tulip.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                "disguised permies"? OK if the contractor has been at the same gaff for more than 2 years but otherwise a crock of tulip.
                I think he means the droves that just want a single client and be there for ever more and don't have clue about legislation and the like around contracting.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I think he means the droves that just want a single client and be there for ever more and don't have clue about legislation and the like around contracting.
                  That's right, I'm referring to the ones that haven't experience true contracting, getting up at 04:00 on a Monday morning to drive 270+ miles to a client site, breakfast at McDonalds 1/3rd of the way down, sleep at service station carpark 2/3rds down and finally arriving at the office, living in a hotel midweek and then back again on a Friday night. Unless you've live away midweek you've never really contracted. I have friends at some of the banks and they've been sat in the same chair for 5 years. Tube in/ tube out every day, probably never been outside the M25.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                    That's right, I'm referring to the ones that haven't experience true contracting, getting up at 04:00 on a Monday morning to drive 270+ miles to a client site, breakfast at McDonalds 1/3rd of the way down, sleep at service station carpark 2/3rds down and finally arriving at the office, living in a hotel midweek and then back again on a Friday night. Unless you've live away midweek you've never really contracted. I have friends at some of the banks and they've been sat in the same chair for 5 years. Tube in/ tube out every day, probably never been outside the M25.
                    I'd disagree with that.
                    Living more or less between Liverpool and Manchester (driving distance of both) I can't see a situation where I'll need to stay away from home mid week, unless of course I decide to have a bash at London...

Comment

Working...
                    X