• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving mid-contract - thoughts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Possibly although it may depend on personal versus gig location.

I can't see me ditching a lucrative London gig for one back in Manchester just because it's 20-30 minutes from home. It's more about continuity for me.
    Bit not being able to claim travel costs widens the gap between local and away from home gigs.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Bit not being able to claim travel costs widens the gap between local and away from home gigs.

I hope you're not a BA, you didn't read the rest of the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

The problem is the rates are massively different.

£350 PD in Manchester is good, less can be the norm.

Up to £650 PD, in London, is achievable.

Obviously, IB pay more generally.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I'm not reading all 10 pages but I'd leave if it's better for yourco, assuming any fallout will not have an important negative effect on you/yourco.

You are running a business and it is in your interest to maximise your profit. If you want to have a huggy relationship with your client, go perm and get a pat on the back and a cake on your birthday.

If they don't like it, they should have negotiated a better contract with a longer notice period.

Although your circumstances and your little story about how they want to replace you with a perm should be completely irrelevant, I would add it as fuel to your fire that it is in your business' best interest to ensure a steady income over the Christmas period and it would be favourable to reduce risk by taking up an offer that is more stable.
        Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Think you'll find it closes the gap.....

Actual Manchester T&S expenditure would be £4 fuel + £5 (average) car parking.

Actual London T&S could involve anything from:
          £80 off peak return on train (or more likely £120 peak Monday morning, £40 off-peak back on a Friday), £3-5 day on tube fare, £40-£90 per night on accommodation.

Cancelling out the local travel in each instance, I'd be looking at £25 per week for car parking versus £400 for train plus accommodation. Don't forget that we can only get the tax breaks on the expenses, not the full £400 reimbursed (it's reimbursing ourselves out of our own money) then the T&S amount back wouldn't be awesome. If I'm earning £200/day extra in London, it's therefore still well worth it.

As I said before, PAYE would be the big one and I'd seriously need to weigh up the pros and cons of that.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

just as a FYI for everyone - timesheets have been approved

thanks for help and advice, will make sure not to end up in a similar situation again

Comment

Originally posted by moneymoney View Post
              just as a FYI for everyone - timesheets have been approved

thanks for help and advice, will make sure not to end up in a similar situation again
              Thanks for the update.

With that out of the way, have you considered talking to the hiring manager to express your concerns about their intent to dispense of your services at an unknown point of time and that you, as a business owner, consider it as a risk that you may need to mitigate?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Thanks for the update.

With that out of the way, have you considered talking to the hiring manager to express your concerns about their intent to dispense of your services at an unknown point of time and that you, as a business owner, consider it as a risk that you may need to mitigate?
                the hiring manager was the person who informed me of their intent to dispense of my services....... (although I do believe she was just trying to play hardball to convince me to go perm, her people manager skills are severely lacking). I could raise it as a concern but given that, all things being equal I'd prefer to move as it's better for my career I'm just going to leave it, see if the other offer comes in and then go from there

Update: new role fell through, consultancy I was going to work for didn't get the gig and therefore I didn't get the gig.....still not massively happy in the current role but will continue for the time being ! thanks again for the advice
                Last edited by moneymoney; 23 November 2015, 11:40. Reason: Update

Comment

Working...
                X