How is the contracting world in the UK ? How is the contracting world in the UK ?
Posts 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    10

    Default How is the contracting world in the UK ?

    Hi folks,
    As I might be relocate in UK (London) in the next few months , I wish I could have some feedbacks about the market statut in the ETL/DWH/BI especially in PLSQL/ODI/OBIEE with 5+ years experience.
    I currently work in Paris as a Contractor (Ltd company) through agency so I decided to maybe move on in London after the termination (end of this year).
    Is it easy to form Ltd company in UK for foreigner (French) ? And from what I can read on the site , is it worth it to do it so with these laws coming off next year ?
    Or Is it better for me to start by umbrella or permanent ?

    Thanks .

    Cheers guys !

  2. #2

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clement View Post
    Hi folks,
    As I might be relocate in UK (London) in the next few months , I wish I could have some feedbacks about the market statut in the ETL/DWH/BI especially in PLSQL/ODI/OBIEE with 5+ years experience.
    I currently work in Paris as a Contractor (Ltd company) through agency so I decided to maybe move on in London after the termination (end of this year).
    Is it easy to form Ltd company in UK for foreigner (French) ? And from what I can read on the site , is it worth it to do it so with these laws coming off next year ?
    Or Is it better for me to start by umbrella or permanent ?

    Thanks .

    Cheers guys !
    Do you read any of the links on CUK, I call sockie...

  3. #3

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Do you read any of the links on CUK, I call sockie...
    And from what I can read on the site

  4. #4

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    20,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clement View Post
    Sorry Clement, I thought that you would get better responses than this.

    It would be better for you to use an umbrella. Set up a Ltd once you know that you can find work here.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

  5. #5

    Should post faster

    raphal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clement View Post
    Hi folks,
    As I might be relocate in UK (London) in the next few months , I wish I could have some feedbacks about the market statut in the ETL/DWH/BI especially in PLSQL/ODI/OBIEE with 5+ years experience.
    I currently work in Paris as a Contractor (Ltd company) through agency so I decided to maybe move on in London after the termination (end of this year).
    Is it easy to form Ltd company in UK for foreigner (French) ? And from what I can read on the site , is it worth it to do it so with these laws coming off next year ?
    Or Is it better for me to start by umbrella or permanent ?

    Thanks .

    Cheers guys !
    If the reason for your relocation is contracting in the UK, I would suggest do one more gig in Paris until April next year. By then you will have some more clarity with regard to the new legalisation thing and reassess your decision.

  6. #6

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raphal View Post
    If the reason for your relocation is contracting in the UK, I would suggest do one more gig in Paris until April next year. By then you will have some more clarity with regard to the new legalisation thing and reassess your decision.
    Thanks . I actually want to live in UK not just for contracting so I guess I will just start by an Umbrella as cojak said or maybe contracting with my French Ltd in UK if it's possible ...

  7. #7

    Froglike

    Pondlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Euroland
    Posts
    13,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clement View Post
    Thanks . I actually want to live in UK not just for contracting so I guess I will just start by an Umbrella as cojak said or maybe contracting with my French Ltd in UK if it's possible ...
    This may prove complicated with both UK and FR taxes. As Cojak says, if you're just testing the water use a brolly. There are big changes to contracting on the horizon so I'd keep it as simple as possible for the short term.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •