• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website for Ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@unixman google kleo wordpress template you should get what I used

Comment

Thanks I checked out kleo. Good, even though some of the example sites seem slow to load. I am looking for something non-Wordpress, I think.

Comment

Wordpress for me too - the beauty of Wordpress is the vast amount of plugins available - it's very easy to make a site look like it's constantly updated using Wordpress plugins which pull in relevant content from other sites and incredibly easy to change the look and feel by just switching themes.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
          Well, it's time the Ltd had a proper website. But what is the best way to create one these days? You have your Weeblies and so on, which are okay for a generic one-pager. Then again, there is some awesome stuff on github, and many open source CMS systems that allow you to create something posh just by writing a few text files with a bit of mark up. Or you could use Wordpress or Joomla, bit of a sledgehammer/nut though.

So how did you make your website? And more to the point, who is willing to share a link, so we can see the results? Promise not to copy. It's right click to download, right?

At the moment I am gravitating towards, er, Grav.
          I use Wordpress for mine, a bit more than a one pager, have a blog running on there to keep content recycling
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Wordpress is popular on here. I actually have a separate Wordpress blog, and for the Ltd just want something static.

Originally posted by ThomserveBAS View Post
            Wordpress for me too - the beauty of Wordpress is the vast amount of plugins available - it's very easy to make a site look like it's constantly updated using Wordpress plugins which pull in relevant content from other sites and incredibly easy to change the look and feel by just switching themes.
            Hmm. Thanks. Like the idea of drawing in the latest post or two from my own blog if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
              Wordpress is popular on here. I actually have a separate Wordpress blog, and for the Ltd just want something static.

Hmm. Thanks. Like the idea of drawing in the latest post or two from my own blog if possible.
              I think you fail to see the full functionality of wordpress. You seem to be referencing the wordpress blog a few times, There are two types the wordpress blog but also a static wordpress site that can be hosted anywhere with your own domain name. You can make it what you want and with all the plugins will easily do what you require it to do.

EDIT: There are four types

Blog
              Static
              Static front Page + Blog
              Dynamic Front Page

https://codex.wordpress.org/Creating...tic_Front_Page
              Last edited by Boney M; 25 November 2015, 17:40.

Comment

I'd probably look at The Quickest Way to Blog on GitHub Pages. | ruhoh universal static blog generator for something static with a blog.

Comment

I use one.com for my web stuff and email, calendar, file hosting etc. Cheap and easy to use web UI for creating basic web pages.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
                    I'd probably look at The Quickest Way to Blog on GitHub Pages. | ruhoh universal static blog generator for something static with a blog.
                    I've spent a long tame lately looking through the Git assortment of CMS software. It is an Aladdin's cave of site generators, from simple packages that generate sites from marked up text, to the popular packages like Joomla and Drupal that use a LAMP stack and polished web interface, with many options and plugins. Many of these (the smaller ones) appear to be almost identical, and each seems to be backed by a startup company hoping to make it big.

For example, you could choose one like Bolt, Bigtree, Pagekit or Grav, mentioned above. Thing is, if the startup goes under, your chosen CMS presumably gets no more updates. Another thing is, they are all in love with a design style called "Responsive". You web guys will know more about this, but whatever the design philosophy is, it looks awful on a big screen.

Ruhoh and a few others are different again. The idea of blogging straight to Git is different also. I will try a few out and maybe put some pages up.

That giant Git list of self hosted solutions is here. CMS is only a small part. You Git wizards out there are probably miles ahead, but this is new for me.
                    https://github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
                    Last edited by unixman; 25 November 2015, 23:38.

Comment

Originally posted by robpow View Post
                      I use one.com for my web stuff and email, calendar, file hosting etc. Cheap and easy to use web UI for creating basic web pages.
                      Thank you. One.com looks interesting. I will be using my own server at home rather than a paid for service (being a unix admin of many cardigans).

Comment

Working...
                      X