• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website for Ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website for Ltd

Well, it's time the Ltd had a proper website. But what is the best way to create one these days? You have your Weeblies and so on, which are okay for a generic one-pager. Then again, there is some awesome stuff on github, and many open source CMS systems that allow you to create something posh just by writing a few text files with a bit of mark up. Or you could use Wordpress or Joomla, bit of a sledgehammer/nut though.

So how did you make your website? And more to the point, who is willing to share a link, so we can see the results? Promise not to copy. It's right click to download, right?

At the moment I am gravitating towards, er, Grav.
    Last edited by unixman; 22 November 2015, 15:04.

Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Well, it's time the Ltd had a proper website. But what is the best way to create one these days? You have your Weeblies and so on, which are okay for a generic one-pager. Then again, there is some awesome stuff on github, and many open source CMS systems that allow you to create something posh just by writing a few text files with a bit of mark up. Or you could use Wordpress or Joomla, bit of a sledgehammer/nut though.

So how did you make your website? And more to the point, who is willing to share a link, so we can see the results? Promise not to copy. It's right click to download, right?

Come on man, do it all in vi!

Comment

I use Jimdo. £60 for domain name, email addresses, seo, hosting for the year and lots of design templates to choose from.

Comment

I used microsoft expression web - free download

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down....aspx?id=36179

Comment

Wordpress for me

Comment

wordpress, spending some little moneny for a premium template was my best investment

Comment

I personally prefer Joomla! to Wordpress, but they do a very similar job...
              Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Come on man, do it all in vi!
                One thing about doing it in vi (or notepad) - it would be one of the fastest loading sites on the Internet. Well much faster than Google, BBC, CUK...

@Kaiser78 - Jimdo looks impressive, similar to Weebly. Only 6 business templates though. Those guys using Wordpress - this is a full blogging platform, you are really using it for a static site, or do you update regularly ?

@gixxer who did your premium template ? Sounds good.
                Last edited by unixman; 23 November 2015, 11:11.

Comment

Joomla for me. There are some dedicated joomla hosting sites out there that offer a much cheaper package than a full website host. That said, you're then constrained to Joomla whether you want it or not.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

One thing about doing it in vi (or notepad) - it would be one of the fastest loading sites on the Internet. Well much faster than Google, BBC, CUK...

@Kaiser78 - Jimdo looks impressive, similar to Weebly. Only 6 business templates though. Those guys using Wordpress - this is a full blogging platform, you are really using it for a static site, or do you update regularly ?

@gixxer who did your premium template ? Sounds good.

Hi - yes Jimdo is really good. I use JimdoPro which has a number of business templates (JimdoFree may only offer 6 ?) and cost me the £60 pa, cheaper than WordPress equivalent.

Comment

Working...
                    X