• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

interview with agency, via google hangout

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Is it any different from a Skype interview?
    Totally different as far as I understand hang out. Hang out is open to anyone to join in at any time. Its like an open conference call where anyone on the net can join in.

Skype is one to one because they're contact you via your Skype number \ name etc.

I wouldnt do an interview via Hang Out myself.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

so turns out it was standard enough, he dropped me a mail with a few standard questions (background, projects managed, problems encountered etc), then logged me into the hangout, turned broadcast on (to record I imagine), ran through the questions for about 5-10 minutes and that was it

I asked if it was the agency or the client that had requested the hangout interviews and he said it was the client, because they are hiring a large number of people, they want to get a quick look at people and decide who they want to bring in

will see what comes of it

Comment

Originally posted by moneymoney View Post
        he said it was the client, because they are hiring a large number of people, they want to get a quick look at people and decide who they want to bring in
        Ah, so they want to see if you match (look like) their existing workforce profile in terms of age, appearance, mannerisms, 'fit,' etc.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Ah, so they want to see if you match (look like) their existing workforce profile in terms of age, appearance, mannerisms, 'fit,' etc.
          I went to an interview once where I was told by the agent afterwards that the client said my 'face didn't fit'. The agent had never met me and would never have conveyed that message if he had.

So naturally I swallowed my disappointment and got another role 2 weeks later paying an extra £150 a day.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            yes, that's exactly what I thought! in some ways I can understand them wanting to make sure I can speak clearly and how I present myself but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more about being part of what they see as the "fit" for their company

Comment

I've worked with DBAs who we simply didn't let near business people. It's not necessarily just face fitting.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

All the moaning on these forums about agents not having a clue about our industries / skills, etc, and how they add no value to the recruitment process as they do not effectively vet contractors before submission.

Now an agent says they want to interview a contractor before submission and people still aren't happy?

Of course, I agree that the questions are more likely to be around previous contracts, contact names, etc, but still...

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylogin View Post
                  All the moaning on these forums about agents not having a clue about our industries / skills, etc, and how they add no value to the recruitment process as they do not effectively vet contractors before submission.

Now an agent says they want to interview a contractor before submission and people still aren't happy?

Of course, I agree that the questions are more likely to be around previous contracts, contact names, etc, but still...
                  This wasn't something the agent initiated, this was a request from the end client. I don't have any real issue with it, I just posted the question as I hadn't come across this type of screening previously so wanted to know if others had.

In fairness the questions were all standard interview questions and definitely not fishing for information about previous roles/contacts. I expect I might hear an update by the end of the week so I'll keep updating the thread if I do.

Comment

Please do. People will be interested to know.

Comment

Originally posted by moneymoney View Post
                      so turns out it was standard enough, he dropped me a mail with a few standard questions (background, projects managed, problems encountered etc), then logged me into the hangout, turned broadcast on (to record I imagine), ran through the questions for about 5-10 minutes and that was it

I asked if it was the agency or the client that had requested the hangout interviews and he said it was the client, because they are hiring a large number of people, they want to get a quick look at people and decide who they want to bring in

will see what comes of it
                      next time attach your photo to your cv

Comment

Working...
                      X