• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

interview with agency, via google hangout

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interview with agency, via google hangout

Has anyone else had this before?

Agent called last week about a role, sounded somewhat interesting so I said ok, have twice emailed requested a job spec but none have been forthcoming.

Agent just rang now and asked if I can do a "google hangout" interview with him later today....where he will ask me 5 questions.

Anyone else had similar hoops to jump through?

Is it any different from a Skype interview?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by moneymoney View Post
      Has anyone else had this before?

Agent called last week about a role, sounded somewhat interesting so I said ok, have twice emailed requested a job spec but none have been forthcoming.

Agent just rang now and asked if I can do a "google hangout" interview with him later today....where he will ask me 5 questions.

Anyone else had similar hoops to jump through?
      Sounds like an agency fishing exercise to me, especially if there is no spec forthcoming.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        Sounds like an agency fishing exercise to me, especially if there is no spec forthcoming.
        thats what i'm thinking, which is why I've asked again for a spec and why I've asked on here in case this is now becoming more common and I just haven't come across it yet. Does seem a bit odd that the agent has said he's going to ask me 5 questions, but he'll call me before hand to brief me.....

Comment

Yep contractor beware its that time of year not much work about so mither the lads to pick up leads.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Is it any different from a Skype interview?
            I guess not, but usually I do interviews with the client, not the agency

Comment

Originally posted by moneymoney View Post
              Does seem a bit odd that the agent has said he's going to ask me 5 questions, but he'll call me before hand to brief me.....
              He's going to call you, beforehand, to brief you about the interview that he's is just about to conduct himself

Hope you do well at it
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

He's going to call you, beforehand, to brief you about the interview that he's is just about to conduct himself

Hope you do well at it
                exactly, it's just all a bit odd and i'm tempted to tell him to jog on if he can't provide me with a spec

if I was being nice and trusting of recruiters, the end client may have asked the agency to do an initial interview and ask a set of questions, record the interviews and send it to them.....which is fair enough, and would explain why he would call me beforehand with a brief. I just haven't heard of anyone doing this and haven't come across it myself, which is why I think this could be a fishing exercise
                Last edited by moneymoney; 23 November 2015, 11:33.

Comment

You're approaching this all wrong IMO. First question you should be asking is how much are you investing in this? Yeah there is a good chance it comes to nothing but for a 15 minute chat? Is that really going to put you out. This person might actually turn out to be a decent contact. If you are losing billing time then yeah dump it. If it's going to be a quick chat when you've f all else to do where is the harm?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    You're approaching this all wrong IMO. First question you should be asking is how much are you investing in this? Yeah there is a good chance it comes to nothing but for a 15 minute chat? Is that really going to put you out. This person might actually turn out to be a decent contact. If you are losing billing time then yeah dump it. If it's going to be a quick chat when you've f all else to do where is the harm?
                    no harm in it, I'm asking the question as it's not an approach i'm familiar with and just checking in case countless others have done similar (and if it was worthwhile or not)!

Comment

Working...
                    X