• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract canned before start but after financial commitment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    EDIT - the good news is after April 2016 it won't matter anymore! T&S not refundable....
    If operating via an umbrella company, or are inside IR35.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Sorry to hear that but man up suck it up its all part of contracting move onto something else. Any contract is only as good as the amount of time you spend onsite & only when you have been contractually paid for all billed work is it a good contract! A signed contract means nothing read the small print it will contain some get out clause from the agency/client somwhere to cover this legally.

We have all been there that's why I personally feel most IT contractors earn every penny & then some!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        What has the agent said about notice period? Have you asked the agent why they waited so long to tell you?

Sorry to hear about it.

Just ignore NLUK. If you had met his wife you would be grumpy too.

EDIT - the good news is after April 2016 it won't matter anymore! T&S not refundable....
        Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        If operating via an umbrella company, or are inside IR35.
        And irrelevant anyway. That's only about paying out of pre-tax income, the OP is stuck with his loss regardless.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Glad i read this post. Im lining up a contract that requires me to drive. Only isse is we have one car and the misses needs it. Pretty sure that maths favours actually buying a new car and selling it after the gig. May reconsider this approach and lease it for the first couple of weeks!!!
          "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
          Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
            Glad i read this post. Im lining up a contract that requires me to drive. Only isse is we have one car and the misses needs it. Pretty sure that maths favours actually buying a new car and selling it after the gig. May reconsider this approach and lease it for the first couple of weeks!!!
            Why don't you just buy one and keep two cars? The second car can be smaller and older but as long as it's reliable it doesn't matter. While loads of people have fancy new cars all they really want is a reliable car, hence they buy new thinking it's reliable but not always.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

And here sir is why we get paid what we paid because its a risky way of working.

Comment

In future only book 1-2 weeks of accommodation somewhere cheap. (or use hotel points from previous engagements)
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

just the cost of doing business

Comment

Originally posted by bluetoaster View Post
                    just the cost of doing business
                    Correct. This is always what we tell everyone.

It was strange, however, the amount of conversations, on here, that there is no real risk in contracting, can't see why you should be taxed differently to perm....etc. etc.

Well, there's a good example, with the OP, just here.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      You want mumsnet if you want any sympathy.
                      LOL

I like NLUK's posts. He funny and they almost always put a smile on my face I can see why he was personality of the year 2011. Although I think there is a bit of an unhealthy obsession with mumsnet going on!

Thanks for all the words guys - yes, hands up - derpy derp moment from me. Live and learn.

Apparently agent is not in today...Certainly would not recommend anyone commit too much to a role...

Managed to get some of the monies back from the accommodation people, close call though.
                      Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X