• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

passed the interview, got the contract, 5 weeks later still waiting for a start date

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Sounds like LBG HR arseholes pissing everyone around again.
    People need to start taking charge of their contracts instead of letting clients and \ or agents dictate to you.
    I'm surprised you would ever find yourself in this situation. You would just refuse to do the paperwork as you consider it akin to bending over etc. etc. No?

How should the OP have taken charge, himself, in your eyes, then?

Very unusual to be put through the screening process and then for the contract to not go ahead.
    Unfortunately, there are one or two banks that consider it good practice to start interviewing before they have budget signed off.

Agree with others, you will probably get something else sorted, then they will give you a start date .
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by robinhood1 View Post
      Thanks for info and heads up, hadn't realised this was common, the bank is the german variety. This was only for a short 1-3 month contract. I've been contracting for the past 15 years, 12 of those years with one big client - just jumping from one part of the group to another via internal references, so never had to really deal with going for jobs via agencies and the silly games they play.

so moral of story, a contract is not a contract till bum firmly implanted on seat.
      And that's the bottom line. Because stone cold reality says so.

Been there, done that, turned a contract down on the back of a promise of a different one. Crash and burn, live and learn.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        And that's the bottom line. Because stone cold reality says so.

Been there, done that, turned a contract down on the back of a promise of a different one. Crash and burn, live and learn.
        There are plenty on here that thinks there are no risks to contracting.
        LM, so you are another "exception" then
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          There are plenty on here that thinks there are no risks to contracting.
          LM, so you are another "exception" then
          Exception to what, being stung by having the rug pulled? No, opportunity cost of 10-15k when passing up another contract is another reason that we are different to perms. While they might have an offer pulled, they generally are told not to resign until they have a contract signed; bit different.

It's a hard lesson and sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the euphoria of a contract offer, especially after a few months on the bench.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            No, opportunity cost of 10-15k when passing up another contract is another reason that we are different to perms.
            Exactly, a loss of 10-15k.

Why we are different to Perms, indeed
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Shouldn't stop looking for roles until you are sitting at the clients desk with a signed contract. Nothing else to it.

Stuff goes wrong, you've got to look after yourself and keep your ass covered. Simple as that. Valuable, if not a bit expensive lesson learned I am afraid.
              absolutely true...

i was in the same situation a couple of years ago as OP, and got shafted big time by the agent who kept telling me to "just wait a few more days for the start date to come through". The contract between me and the pimp was already signed, but they kept me totally in the dark about what was going on behind the scenes. Three weeks later they then told me that the whole project got cancelled by higher management. Luckily i found another gig a few weeks later, but this whole debakel meant two months of irrecoverable revenue.

I took the agency to court and luckily was fully compensated, but only because i had a good paper trail in emails, and also an introducing agent who was happy to serve as a witness, because he was also pissed at them. However, i would not do it again, dealing with lawyers and courts is just not my favourite pastime.

Lesson learned...

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                If its LBG they tend to enforce 2 weeks unpaid leave over xmas time for contractors & or hiring freezes kick in so getting a new contract signoff can become difficult in December.
                3 weeks this year starting 11 December & back in on 4 January

Comment

Originally posted by Hercule View Post
                  absolutely true...

i was in the same situation a couple of years ago as OP, and got shafted big time by the agent who kept telling me to "just wait a few more days for the start date to come through". The contract between me and the pimp was already signed, but they kept me totally in the dark about what was going on behind the scenes. Three weeks later they then told me that the whole project got cancelled by higher management. Luckily i found another gig a few weeks later, but this whole debakel meant two months of irrecoverable revenue.

I took the agency to court and luckily was fully compensated, but only because i had a good paper trail in emails, and also an introducing agent who was happy to serve as a witness, because he was also pissed at them. However, i would not do it again, dealing with lawyers and courts is just not my favourite pastime.

Lesson learned...
                  Thanks for a very informative post and very glad too hear that you managed to take them task and justice was fully served. Hopefully as well as you being compensated, your actions may have changed how this agency/pimp treats contractors in future and not just think it can ride roughshod over contractors.

I would be interested in how you want about making a claim, did you go via small claims or independently hire a solicitor?

I don't have a contract (as in the paperwork contract) but do have a good email trail and given a contract can be formed verbally, the email trail should suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by robinhood1 View Post
                    I don't have a contract (as in the paperwork contract) but do have a good email trail and given a contract can be formed verbally, the email trail should suffice.
                    The agency were very careful there so it will be much harder for you, as :

1. It is standard industry practice to have a paper or electronic document as a contract. Therefore the agency will argue your emails aren't a contract especially if they do not use your company name.

2. The contract relies on you passing background checks before it is valid. You haven't passed them.

3. While you have an email trail there may be disclaimers either in the email itself or on the website it links to pointing out they do not form a contract.

In short until the agent gives you a contract with your company name on and you have passed the background checks you don't have a valid contract.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      2. The contract relies on you passing background checks before it is valid. You haven't passed them.
                      Just on this point, I have passed all the background checks, which is also on email. Literally, the only thing outstanding was a start date and contract.

I take your point and will seek advice.

Comment

Working...
                      X