• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding out the rate being charged?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moneymoney View Post
    ok, I didn't go into detail about why I wanted the bump my post was about how I go about finding out the rate, not how do I get a bump....
    Yes, but, to be fair the question was so clueless, in the first instance, we obviously thought you needed the extra advice .

All I will say, be sure, be prepared to walk, once you press the rate rise button with the client, regardless of state of the market, all your good work etc etc.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

ok, I didn't go into detail about why I wanted the bump my post was about how I go about finding out the rate, not how do I get a bump....

Obviously you have to prove the reasons why you deserve it, and I'm comfortable I can do that, with plenty of examples of what I have done in here and also by other offers that are coming my way, so I know my value in the market

Are these "offers" or agents phoning you asking if you are available?

Before you go to buy a new car do you try to find out how much the dealer is making in profit before deciding how much you can try to get them to knock off it, or do you go in wanting them to give you discount?

I would suggest that you consider asking for a % increase or £ increase on what you are currently getting. Ask for a rate and then be prepared to negotiate.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        You're doing the job they pay you to do, at the rate you agreed - what else are you doing that justifies a change in that scenario?
        as I explained in another reply, the point of the thread was not "how do I get a rate bump" or "I deserve a rate bump", but how do I find out what I'm costing the clientco

I'm not questioning the merits of what does or does not entitle someone to a rate bump

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Are these "offers" or agents phoning you asking if you are available?

Before you go to buy a new car do you try to find out how much the dealer is making in profit before deciding how much you can try to get them to knock off it, or do you go in wanting them to give you discount?

I would suggest that you consider asking for a % increase or £ increase on what you are currently getting. Ask for a rate and then be prepared to negotiate.

Actual offers, not ads I've seen on jobserve :P I had one fall through which I wanted and would have taken and another I turned down as I didn't feel it was worth jumping ship for mid-contract

if I'm going back to the same dealer mulitple times, I would expect a better deal

I'm planning to ask but my query is where do I apply the squeeze, do I tell the agency I want an increase but them not to pass it on to the client (or will they tell me to f-off as that is their relationship and I need to stay out of it) or just ask for it and see what happens

Comment

as I explained in another reply, the point of the thread was not "how do I get a rate bump" or "I deserve a rate bump", but how do I find out what I'm costing the clientco

I'm not questioning the merits of what does or does not entitle someone to a rate bump

OK, if you want the answer to your question with no useful help, it's simple...
            1. Access the client's accounting software
            2. Go to AP
            3. Find your agent
            4. Find their last invoice.
            5. If you are the only contractor through that agent then take their invoice and compare it to yours.
            6. If you're lucky they will have detailed how much is time and how much is expenses.
            7. Compare the number of hours/days on their invoice to the number of hours/days on yours.
            8. There's the difference.

Of course, if you don't know their accounting software and what it records when you log into it, then you're running the risk of being immediately dismissed - but that's advice/useful help so you won't care about that bit.

Comment

if I'm going back to the same dealer mulitple times, I would expect a better deal

Didn't answer the question.

I'm planning to ask but my query is where do I apply the squeeze, do I tell the agency I want an increase but them not to pass it on to the client (or will they tell me to f-off as that is their relationship and I need to stay out of it) or just ask for it and see what happens

It is not up to you to squeeze the client. You squeeze the agent. What the agent does is up to them. You can ask them not to ask the client for a rise, but they will do that anyway.

Comment

Actual offers, not ads I've seen on jobserve :P I had one fall through which I wanted and would have taken and another I turned down as I didn't feel it was worth jumping ship for mid-contract
                So you have nothing on the table, at the present time, to back up this raise?
                Good luck with that

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                It is not up to you to squeeze the client. You squeeze the agent. What the agent does is up to them. You can ask them not to ask the client for a rise, but they will do that anyway.
                If you have a good relationship with the client then you can broach this with them.
                You have to be very sure of this and provide "evidence", however.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I don't want to be rude but there is a lot of naivity in the OPs posts and if he get's this wrong it's actually going to cause a problem. The way he's still arguing he's worth of a rate rise from the client is a great example. He appears to be flailing a little to find where he is and understand the relationship between his co, the agency and the client.

If it's this hard to understand the situation he's going to really struggle to make it stick. He only has to say one thing that exposes his naivity and the agent/client will just laugh their socks off and leave the table. Having the knowledge is one thing, making it stick is a whole different one.

If you are happy with your rate I think you ought to lean on the agent as best you can and then just be happy with the outcome and the learning curve.

Sorry, that's just how I see it.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

OK - ask the agency or ask the client.

Don't expect either one to give you an answer and if you get one, don't expect it to be the truth - that way you won't be disappointed.

The only way for certain is to find the invoices that relate to you and see what they say - even a monthly / weekly invoice isn't necessarily going to be correct though. One of my clients had an over-arching agreement which had a fee attached to it, and then invoices for each contractor with about a 2% fee on them. So if they operate in this way, you'll need access to both of these to be able to work out what you are costing.

If you are genuinely worth the increase, it makes no difference what you are costing the client, though - demand your increase and get paid what you are worth.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      If you are genuinely worth the increase, it makes no difference what you are costing the client, though - demand your increase and get paid what you are worth.
                      But if you're being too big for your boots you could label yourself as a trouble maker and will have a nice target on your back. No one is irreplaceable as much as they think they are.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X