• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

working 100% remotely

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worked from home for a very long period of time. Well home being wherever I had my laptop & mobile at any given time. Going back to a formal office environment can present some issues.

The distractions, let alone the lack of privacy of returning to an open plan office can be very challenging to say the least. Office culture can seem fustrating to say the least.

With my current permit hat on I need to be in the office a few days a week. Without my own office I wouldn't have considered it.

All the comments about social life etc apply. I have observed expats from Spain to Bangkok "Working from home" who's private lives consist of sitting in a bar with a bottle of San Miguel/Chang welded to their hands. That said, I have observed contractors in Surbiton doing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by ClothCap View Post
      Not this old chestnut again?

Fraid so. Humour me please.

Coming to the end of a gig, got a renewal in the bag but... I don't want it! I became freelance to avoid politics, 9 to 5 drudgery do things on my terms etc. - and yet I still do all of these things. We all do really.

So, new year could be time to try an experiment in working 100% remotely. Can't say it will be easy though as immediately I will be competing with the rest of the (much cheaper) world. The obvious places to look such as Freelancer and the like make for depressing reading when you look at the rates. Time to get creative.

Its easy to have a cursory look into this world and dismiss it from the comfort of a £450 a day lunch break, but if you'd committed to this lifestyle and had to make a living from it, would that change things and focus you into getting results?

Not looking for riches, its far easier to continue down the BOS route if money is the goal; instead I'm thinking lifestyle, office ergonomics to suit me and so on.

Pipe dream?
      It isn't a pipe dream. I've converted from 5 years on in-house and part in-house contracting to fully remote. Occasional meetings might take place in the client office, or in some other location in the same way that any B2B relationship works.

The key to making this work is marketing. Without investing in marketing yourself, it is very tricky. Like others have said, if you are competing against another contractor, than those that are willing to work in-house will often win (or you drop the rate). But if you market your business adequately and position yourself correctly, then you can create a world where clients seek you out and want to work with you. Then you have control over your location, your process, who you decide to work with etc etc. So it is not a pipe dream, but it does require a lot of working, time and patience on the marketing side.

Comment

WFH sporadically, but going into the office doesn't bother me at present as London is only a short commute. However I would like to relocate at some point. I'm not sure if 100% remote is a pipedream or would drive you mad. But it is baffling how many IT people commute into some of the most expensive real estate in the world to do what could be done from anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by somewebguy View Post
          ...So it is not a pipe dream, but it does require a lot of working, time and patience on the marketing side.
          Care to be more specific on what you do on the marketing side, SWG ?

Thanks,

Boo

Comment

Lots of people here saying the right thing but what they don't seem to realise is it's very dependent on your specific job and the projects you are working on.

It's technically possible for us all to WFH occasionally and potentially indefinitely but that doesn't mean it's ideal.

Your average IT infrastructure contractor for example has no hope in hell of getting a long term WFH gig. Just not going to happen.

So have to be realistic, it really depends on your area of expertise.

Comment

I like to travel a lot which is why I am not positioning my self as a part time remote contractor, hopefully I'll soon get some gigs from LinkedIn (I've got 4 months left of a 6 month full time contract in London)

Comment

What's BOS?
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                  What's BOS?
                  Bums On Seats...
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I PM'd from home for a large retail bank for 12 months. Went in the office two times. I think it's all entirely doable. I started off the first three months in the office, met everyone in the UK and got the lay of the land. Then went home. The project was global so there were resources everywhere.
                    I wish there were more JavaScript contracts that would let you do this, however there are too many js devs out there that are happy to commute.

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
                      I wish there were more JavaScript contracts that would let you do this, however there are too many js devs out there that are happy to commute.
                      In a commodity skill you need to start in the office then escape after you have proven your worth.

Comment

Working...
                      X