• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making the Leap

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    My point was, don't paralyse yourself by having to sell your home, have nothing to eat etc, but when is anyone ever ready to go contratcing? The OP was making the point he's finding lots of excuses to not do it, to stay in the same rut. My view is that life's too short to be constantly making future plans, do it today, not when it's too late.

In was advised that I wasn't ready for contracting but I persisted and it's been a fantastic experience. Ups and plenty of downs but all manageable. I wasn't anywhere near 'prepared' to leave perm but I'm thankful I did. Why would I advise against something that I know enriched my life.
    Yes, yes, yes, but the OP says he has no cash whatsoever.
    So, the best advice, in this instance, is to wait until that situation changes.

I was ready to go contracting, when I was ready
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by nickbennett View Post
      I don't have the money in case things go wrong.
      /thread.

Comment

I've been contracting for about 8 months now and I am still bricking it a bit. I'm hoping things will return to normal once I have a sizable warchest and a better gig, but right now I am just putting up with what I have cos it pays well.
        Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
          My point was, don't paralyse yourself by having to sell your home, have nothing to eat etc, but when is anyone ever ready to go contratcing? The OP was making the point he's finding lots of excuses to not do it, to stay in the same rut. My view is that life's too short to be constantly making future plans, do it today, not when it's too late.

In was advised that I wasn't ready for contracting but I persisted and it's been a fantastic experience. Ups and plenty of downs but all manageable. I wasn't anywhere near 'prepared' to leave perm but I'm thankful I did. Why would I advise against something that I know enriched my life.
          He has no money.

You need to have some savings before you strike out on your own.

That's why I said get another permanent job. He can then do some research on skills, limited company set up, etc.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            He has no money.

You need to have some savings before you strike out on your own.

That's why I said get another permanent job. He can then do some research on skills, limited company set up, etc.
            And that's why a lot of contractors last all of 5 minutes, then.....

phhhhhht

They are gone
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              And that's why a lot of contractors last all of 5 minutes, then.....

phhhhhht

They are gone
              We have had plenty of contractors on this forum either in trouble on the bench or have gone back permie. It happens more than you realise. It it was risk free and no one left the market would be on its knees.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                He has no money.

You need to have some savings before you strike out on your own....
                I had no money either. But the thought of staying in that crappy permie job was not to be borne, and I had (and have) huge confidence in my abilities. All things being equal though - I wouldn't recommend contracting without decent savings.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I had no money either. But the thought of staying in that crappy permie job was not to be borne, and I had (and have) huge confidence in my abilities. All things being equal though - I wouldn't recommend contracting without decent savings.
                  Exactly, confidence is a lot of it.

It took me 3 months to find a role, but we were just coming to the end of recession at the time.
                  I thought 3.5K, in London, to cover everything, would be enough to get started, I just made it .

I never looked back, that was 16 years ago, now.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I left my perm job with next to no savings but on good terms with an open door to go back, so my worst case scenario was going back to where I was - this was 18 months and 2 contracts ago now - haven't looked back yet but isn't to say I won't ever, but I've made about 2.5x more doing it this way

I don't see contracting as a life choice that I'll never go back from, it's just the best way to make money for me at the moment. As soon as it isn't, I'll go back perm.

I'm in engineering, and my first contract client were willing to wait for my (1month) notice period - from reading on here IT can tend to be a bit more "now or never"

Comment

The longer you leave it before going contracting, the more money you are missing out on!! I made the jump after less than 4 year of my first perm job. Although everyone said it was a risky move it current climate (sept 2008) i figured since id be doubling my take home and it was a 6 month contract i felt comfortable with the risk. I had a one month notice period so I slid straight from one to the next. I didnt have savings but could have always moved back home i guess. you dont have to wait and skill up before you go contracting you can learn on the job. I have seen some clients wait for three month notice periods. I myself have just secured a role starting 1st march. Always good to finish a post with a quote so "if you want to learn how to swim, jump into the water" bruce lee
                      "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
                      Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Working...
                      X