• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Write an essay, rewrite your CV, meet me in person, do a coding test before I send CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Write an essay, rewrite your CV, meet me in person, do a coding test before I send CV

Apart from two references agents also like to ask for one of more of:
    1. Writing an essay why are you the best candidate for this role
    2. Rewrite your CV for certain spec
    3. Meet them me in person for a chat
    4. Do a coding test
    ... before they send CV to a client.
    While this proves the existence of the advertised role, is this usually a good investment of time?
    Do you do normally agree to do anything of the above?

1. I have done this in the past. I got the role. However I didn't have to do 3-4 otherwise I would have told the agent to foxtrot oscar.
    2. I will edit my CV for the role and normally do this before sending it to the agent. However as now agents are more likely to ring me up with a role I will ask them to allow me to edit my CV before sending it on.
    3. I don't meet agents in person before I've interviewed for the role as it's a waste of time. I have met them to sort out paperwork after I have the role.
    4. I don't do coding tests as it illustrates the client doesn't know what they are doing and doesn't realise people can easily cheat. Any form of testing should take place at the interview. There is little point having someone give you a perfectly coded example if when you interview them you discover they can't actually communicate something simple.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Relaxed View Post
      Apart from two references agents also like to ask for one of more of:
      1. Writing an essay why are you the best candidate for this role
      2. Rewrite your CV for certain spec
      3. Meet them me in person for a chat
      4. Do a coding test
      ... before they send CV to a client.
      While this proves the existence of the advertised role, is this usually a good investment of time?
      Do you do normally agree to do anything of the above?
      Nope. I tell them Im not up for it and will consider a role that's far less invasive although I guess plenty of other saps like mrmarkymark will cave in.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        4. I don't do coding tests as it illustrates the client doesn't know what they are doing and doesn't realise people can easily cheat. Any form of testing should take place at the interview. There is little point having someone give you a perfectly coded example if when you interview them you discover they can't actually communicate something simple.
        I'd disagree on that actually.

In my recent experience, places that have a coding test up front are highly likely to include coding tests at the in person interview as well.

The one pre-in-person is usually just an extra level of filtering.

They are obviously not infallible and can be gamed, but I wouldn't discount them as you suggest.

Just my tuppence.

Comment

I can't believe for one minute number 1 gets asked for and if you aren't doing number 2 anyway your doing your job badly.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Relaxed View Post
            ...this proves the existence of the advertised role...

Boo

Comment

You are really struggling with all this aren't you....
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                I'd disagree on that actually.

In my recent experience, places that have a coding test up front are highly likely to include coding tests at the in person interview as well.

The one pre-in-person is usually just an extra level of filtering.

They are obviously not infallible and can be gamed, but I wouldn't discount them as you suggest.

Just my tuppence.
                I tend to agree here. Previously, I've done a pre-interview coding test that wasn't the usual multiple-choice noddy questions, but rather was the presentation of a fairly small but interesting problem (usually something similar to a Coding Kata style problem) for which I'm asked to code up a solution which is emailed to the client in advance of an interview.

My code then forms part of a discussion, at interview, around my approach to the problem, how other approaches may (or may not) work, how it could be improved given some new requirement etc. etc.

Since there's no right or wrong solution to the initial problem, it's a good way to "talk shop" at interview stage and, IMHO, benefits both the client and the interviewee.

That said, I'd not do this for an agent unless my CV had already been forwarded, I'd been introduced to the client and the client had at least shown an interest in progressing with me.

Comment

My mother always said someone loves you the way you are or not atall. I think she meant girls - but she could have been talking about recruitment agents.....

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                    I tend to agree here. Previously, I've done a pre-interview coding test that wasn't the usual multiple-choice noddy questions, but rather was the presentation of a fairly small but interesting problem (usually something similar to a Coding Kata style problem) for which I'm asked to code up a solution which is emailed to the client in advance of an interview.

My code then forms part of a discussion, at interview, around my approach to the problem, how other approaches may (or may not) work, how it could be improved given some new requirement etc. etc.

Since there's no right or wrong solution to the initial problem, it's a good way to "talk shop" at interview stage and, IMHO, benefits both the client and the interviewee.

That said, I'd not do this for an agent unless my CV had already been forwarded, I'd been introduced to the client and the client had at least shown an interest in progressing with me.
                    Oh, absolutely not for the agent!

Comment

Working...
                    X