• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Updating my Ltd Company on a shoe string budget (ie ~£250)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    Only value I see is when getting a direct to client gig and procurement google your company before adding you in to SAP. It appears the more stock photos of import looking meetings, professional woman in skirts and people on the telephone with that depth of field look, the better.

Very applicable to overseas gigs.

How guys,

The reason is as described above - when people are looking at your CV they will sometimes have a cheeky look at your website. Having something half decent won't hurt I don't think, hence the update.

Thanks for the "people per hour" link. I have got in contact with someone who I think will do a great job at a very reasonable price. Hence all good.

Cheers

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by PermMCCon View Post
      Thanks for the "people per hour" link. I have got in contact with someone who I think will do the needful at a very reasonable price. Hence all good.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by PermMCCon View Post
        How guys,

The reason is as described above - when people are looking at your CV they will sometimes have a cheeky look at your website. Having something half decent won't hurt I don't think, hence the update.
        That could well be true. I did once get an interview with the CEO of a software house rather than with a grunt agent, because the CEO liked the personal parts of my website and wanted to meet me.

BTW after seeing this thread I ego-googled my name and found not only "biz" sites holding older versions of my online CV or its keywords, but quite a number of Indian sites (found through googling my name) that offered CV templates. One of them still had my photograph on it! I must have done a good CV if it was so worth stealing.

That probably also explains the increasing competition from Indian IT guys: their CV is as good as mine, because it is mine!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          That probably also explains the increasing competition from Indian IT guys: their CV is as good as mine, because it is mine!
          A friend of mine, in the same discipline, was given my CV, by an agent, as an example of how his should look like.
          The name was blanked out, but, he recognised the clients I had worked with.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            A friend of mine, in the same discipline, was given my CV, by an agent, as an example of how his should look like.
            The name was blanked out, but, he recognised the clients I had worked with.
            That's one thing, but these Indian CV template sites are selling my CV framework, which is actually my creation. Also they may or may not be selling on the content, which may or may not then be used by Indian applicants for work based on my experience rather than theirs. I don't relish competing against people who start off with their CV having everything that mine has for the simple reason that they have copied it from mine, rather than putting in the last 15 years of work that I have done to get that CV.

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by expat View Post
              Also, they will be selling on the content, which may or may not then be used by Indian applicants for work based on my experience rather than theirs.
              I doubt yours is the only one either.
              Very eye opening if you ever have to interview applicants, a lot of times "experience", stated, on the CV bears little relevance to the person.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                FTFY

I doubt yours is the only one either.
                Very eye opening if you ever have to interview applicants, a lot of times "experience", stated, on the CV bears little relevance to the person.
                No, of course it's not the only one, it's not that good! It must be happening to a lot of us, and I am slightly embarrassed that I never thought of it before. I know something of the extent of Indians lying about their experience (different league from mild exaggeration), because I have followed some of them and been paid to fix up their mess; but for some reason I didn't think it would be as simple as just stealing someone else's CV. And worse, that there is a money-making trade in them. That's a parasite economy if ever I saw one.

Comment

Working...
                X