• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Photo on your CV?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You sometimes simply cannot believe how much bigger other people's are

Back in the Wang era I was at a very large pharmceutical company and a new guy joined. His CV - and I had a printed copy - was 200 pages long. Admittedly the text was not exactly compact.

He was worldwide Head of R & D and almost all of it was references to articles and papers. Nevertheless: breathtaking!

He was of course American. Naturally he had lots of degrees but one of them he'd done on the train commuting.
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

@WTFH I took your advice and pared my CV down from five to three pages (a lot of excess spacing and blank lines were also removed, which helped). It's a much easier read now, though still no photo. Also put a description in for my work history on LinkedIn, though that's UK-only employment history.

My format has worked okay thus far, but contracting will make it completely unworkable in time. I'll probably start dropping the historical stuff after awhile to keep it brief.

I think part of why my CV had extra detail before was feeling a need to have a line explaining what each company I worked for was along with my role and duties - stuff they tend to expect in America more maybe and possibly 20 years ago? But really if the CV has what folk are looking for then they can always find out the detail in the interview itself.

Of course if my memory starts failing I'll have to carry crib notes on my own past. It's been so long since I've really read my older assignments, I was surprised to see how many consultant gigs for Morse Group I'd forgotten!

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
        Back in the Wang era I was at a very large pharmceutical company and a new guy joined. His CV - and I had a printed copy - was 200 pages long. Admittedly the text was not exactly compact.

He was worldwide Head of R & D and almost all of it was references to articles and papers. Nevertheless: breathtaking!

He was of course American. Naturally he had lots of degrees but one of them he'd done on the train commuting.
        Seems like overkill.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          ... Photos are a no no in the UK so should be removed. One reason they are a no is to avoid accusations of discrimination under equality laws. I've had to review CVs with names removed for this very reason.
          Conversely, in some countries such as France and Germany, CVs without a photo are a no no.

Comment

Spain it's the norm. As a multinational we have to return CVs to agency with photos according to corporate policy, but this is exceptional for this territory. Spanish companies or Spanish managers in a multinational see them as mandatory.

I suspect the CVs are not returned, and HR are binning them, as I see very few Spanish candidates. Either that or all the good ones are working in Germany or the UK.

Originally posted by expat View Post
            Conversely, in some countries such as France and Germany, CVs without a photo are a no no.
            I have worked for every Telco in Germany and this is not my experience hiring or applying. Maybe different customs in different industries.

As above for one Telco in France. The big one.
            Last edited by clearedforlanding; 21 January 2016, 18:03.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
              Spain it's the norm. As a multinational we have to return CVs to agency with photos according to corporate policy, but this is exceptional for this territory. Spanish companies or Spanish managers in a multinational see them as mandatory.

I suspect the CVs are not returned, and HR are binning them, as I see very few Spanish candidates. Either that or all the good ones are working in Germany or the UK.

I have worked for every Telco in Germany and this is not my experience hiring or applying. Maybe different customs in different industries.

As above for one Telco in France. The big one.
              I work for Telco and they never asked me for a photo. In Spain I don't know because I never applied.

Comment

Deutsche Telekom and Bouygues respectively in my case, and every CV had a photo, but hiring was done by IBM in both cases so perhaps it was they who insisted.

But I did once interview with an SSII in Paris where I had submitted a CV without a photo, and it wasn't binned - but the agent pulled out a camera and took a photo without a by-your-leave.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                  My format has worked okay thus far, but contracting will make it completely unworkable in time. I'll probably start dropping the historical stuff after awhile to keep it brief.
                  IMHO it's better to have several CVs, each tailored to a specific field of expertise and drop the irrelevant roles from each CV rather than just to drop the oldest roles from a single CV.

This does mean that you will have to leave off dates and wrestle the agent into submission on that point though, which is a PITA, admittedly.

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                    IMHO it's better to have several CVs, each tailored to a specific field of expertise and drop the irrelevant roles from each CV rather than just to drop the oldest roles from a single CV.

This does mean that you will have to leave off dates and wrestle the agent into submission on that point though, which is a PITA, admittedly.

Boo
                    My work history for nearly twenty years is fairly consistent. The pain in the ass part is my current gig which is outside my area and is unlikely to be much use in getting me another gig outside of saying "look ma, I had a contract gig!" and it was for another financial services institution. I can't see leaving it off though...sigh.

Comment

Got a few Indian CV's on my desk
                      They all mention star sign, secondary star sign and caste, which ones should I avoid?. Need an expert on Indian astrology and caste system to make a logical and scientific decision.

Comment

Working...
                      X