• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Take a 10% drop or hold off signing contract for better rate still not yet in the bag

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
    Well the update is. ..had interview for gig 2 today which went well. Sounds more interesting and is in a better location (plus more money). The downside is that they won't be getting back to me until Thursday. In the meantime the agency for gig 1 has responded to my requests to amend some of my contract, rejecting the crucial one for me which was to expand on a description of my services in the contract schedule, other than just a job title. Here is their response:

'At the request of the Client we only make reference to the job title as the services may be required on other projects at the banks discretion (for example if one project were to end/be reduced in size.) No further detail can be added to this section.'

Don't think I'm comfortable with this. Would you accept it? Not sure if I can hold off on a response for two days until I find out about gig 2....mind you the agency took two days to get back to me. It's a big risk.
    I've not tried this but I'm aware others on here have used B&C/QDOS contract review services who call up and somehow miraculously get this sorted for you. Perhaps offer a compromise - list some specific actions, and add "other services to be agreed upon"?
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      I've not tried this but I'm aware others on here have used B&C/QDOS contract review services who call up and somehow miraculously get this sorted for you. Perhaps offer a compromise - list some specific actions, and add "other services to be agreed upon"?
      Well, more developments. Been offered gig 2 now (the one I really wanted with better money). PerfectStorm, I have pretty much waited until the eleventh hour with gig 1 as pretty much refused to negotiate or accept their refusal to make any amendments....now feeling rather guilty about knocking them back so far down the line. Probably bu**ered my reputation with both the agency and the client. The worst that can happen is at the last minute they miraculously do an about turn and suddenly agree to the changes!

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
        Well, more developments. Been offered gig 2 now (the one I really wanted with better money). PerfectStorm, I have pretty much waited until the eleventh hour with gig 1 as pretty much refused to negotiate or accept their refusal to make any amendments....now feeling rather guilty about knocking them back so far down the line. Probably bu**ered my reputation with both the agency and the client. The worst that can happen is at the last minute they miraculously do an about turn and suddenly agree to the changes!
        It's business. Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed. If they do an about turn, you've moved on. It works both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          It's business. Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed. If they do an about turn, you've moved on. It works both ways.
          It does but he can't really come on here calling agents for pulling a fast one later on after after pulling this. Gonna have to take it on the chin man style.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            It does but he can't really come on here calling agents for pulling a fast one later on after after pulling this. Gonna have to take it on the chin man style.
            Absolutely. Contracting is a no whining zone

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Absolutely. Contracting in the UK is a no winning zone
              FTFY

Comment

Update: I informed agency 1 that I won't be taking on the gig so that's done. I've secured a contract for gig 2 through Rullion but they won't budge on notice termination of 1 months notice to them and 2 weeks to me no matter how hard I tried to negotiate. Anyone else had a similar experience with them? Not really in a position to argue now seeing as I'm sure to start tomorrow!

Comment

Notice periods are for permies. If they don't want you then you'll be done by 5pm that day without a leg to stand on.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

As NLUK says, notice periods aren't worth the paper...

As long as it's not formulated in a way that's akin to a permie notice period, it's a non-issue.

Comment

I have previously contracted through Rullion in 2012, with a 4 week notice period to both parties. However, they were only really acting as a payment solution as I landed the gig direct with the client, who then runs all contractors via 2 or 3 agencies on fixed margins.

Their self billing system was OK, however make sure they don't try and not pay you the VAT on your expenses...

Comment

Working...
                      X