• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Take a 10% drop or hold off signing contract for better rate still not yet in the bag

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take a 10% drop or hold off signing contract for better rate still not yet in the bag

Here's the thing. I've been offered a role with a new banking client at 10% less than my usual rate, gone through the checks through the agency ((quicker than expected I might add) and they sent my contract to sign 3 days ago. In the meantime, I've had another telephone interview for a similar role but at the rate I always work to. Both are 6 months. I was aware of the role and made the second agent aware that I was in the middle of reference checks with the first client. So, I had the telephone interview today (Thursday) and now waiting on a decision on a face to face which the HR bod says will be on Monday. I've had my contract reviewed and there are a number of agency terms I don't agree with. I'm going to send these comments today for negotiation. Already told first agent a couple of days back that my contract is currently being looked at although they were pushing me to sign before the references had even been completed! I'm hoping to hold then off until the interview (if I get it) but am I risking losing the first contract? I don't want to leave myself with nothing and a bad rep but the potential extra money is alot in 6 months which I need. What's the longest you've held out before signing?
    Last edited by ziggystardust; 28 January 2016, 13:48.

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
    Here's the thing. I've been offered a role with a new banking client at 10% less than my usual rate, gone through the checks through the agency ((quicker than expected I might add) and they sent my contract to sign 3 days ago. In the meantime, I've had another telephone interview for a similar role but at the rate I always work to. Both are 6 months. I was aware of the role and made the second agent aware that I was in the middle of reference checks with the first client. So, I had the telephone interview today (Thursday) and now waiting on a decision on a face to face which the HR bod says will be on Monday. I've had my contract reviewed and there are a number of agency terms I don't agree with. I'm going to send these comments today for negotiation. Already told first agent a couple of days back that my contract is currently being looked at although they were pushing me to sign before the references had even been completed! I'm hoping to hold then off until the interview (if I get it) but am I risking losing the first contract? I don't want to leave myself with nothing and a bad rep but the potential extra money is alot in 6 months which I need. What's the longest you've held out before signing?
    To be honest I wouldn't use the contract review as a way to enable you to turn down the role at the 11th hour, either accept the one being offered (pending review) or take a risk on the other potential role (if it was me I would take the former, a bird in the hand and all that )

Comment

90% of something > 100% of nothing
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Do some sums in exel to work out where the tipping point that hanging on for a better rate becomes the worse option over the next 6 months. It's not rocket science.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Could I interest you in one of these, sir?

Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
            So, I had the telephone interview today (Thursday) and now waiting on a decision on a face to face which the HR bod says will be on Monday. I've had my contract reviewed and there are a number of agency terms I don't agree with. I'm going to send these comments today for negotiation. Already told first agent a couple of days back that my contract is currently being looked at although they were pushing me to sign before the references had even been completed! I'm hoping to hold then off until the interview (if I get it) but am I risking losing the first contract? I don't want to leave myself with nothing and a bad rep but the potential extra money is alot in 6 months which I need. What's the longest you've held out before signing?
            If the f2f is on Monday you should be able to hold the other guys off until then, but if they take 2 weeks after that to decide you're tuliped, innit ?

What does the termination clause with the first role say ? If it's a week you can say yes to the first role then bale out if you get the higher paying gig...

Boo2

Comment

Take into account lost revenue because you're on the bench for a week or two longer.

eg for a rate of 500 per day, two weeks on the bench at 500 per day costs you 5000 quid.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Fag packet

130 days x 90 = 11700 (ie 90% of rate)
                130 days x 100 = 13000 (Full rate)

Difference = 1300 divided by offered rate of 90 is 14.4 days

So if you sit on the bench navel gazing and miss over 14 working days you are not going to make up that lost revenue at the higher rate (if you got the gig).

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  Fag packet

130 days x 90 = 11700 (ie 90% of rate)
                  130 days x 100 = 13000 (Full rate)

Difference = 1300 divided by offered rate of 90 is 14.4 days

So if you sit on the bench navel gazing and miss over 14 working days you are not going to make up that lost revenue at the higher rate (if you got the gig).
                  Although you'll do about 19/20 days a month, so I'd make that 120 days rather than 130. Suppose maybe more seeing as there's no christmas to contend with, but what if you get extended? The long game might make waiting very much worth it.
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                    If the f2f is on Monday you should be able to hold the other guys off until then, but if they take 2 weeks after that to decide you're tuliped, innit ?

What does the termination clause with the first role say ? If it's a week you can say yes to the first role then bale out if you get the higher paying gig...

Boo2
                    That's the problem, there's no termination clause included from my side, only from theirs, which is one of the terms I've raised as not being in agreement with when I sent my contract back for amendments. Agency rang today, got a definite face to face but it's for Tuesday morning. I've agreed but that's an extra day. ....

In the meantime, waiting to hear back from agency 1.

Comment

Working...
                    X