• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate change between applying for the job and getting the contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    You will not find out if the agency would like a higher margin or whether the customer is limiting the budget.

Negotiation is a game of chicken.

Do you feel lucky ?

I have to say when the agent originally says it's 550 it would not be unusual for this to happen. Personally I would be a lot tougher if the agent had originally said 575.

If the market is bouyant and you are confident you'll have something within a week, you can turn him down. If you are on the bench for two weeks however for a 6 month contract you will be out of pocket if you turn it down.

Hard nosed business decision optimising your income is probably to accept.
    Agreed. I've had this situation in the past.

Agent has said I will put you in at £550 but don't be surprised if they won't move from £525. Not a shabby rate at all either way.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Agreed. I've had this situation in the past.

Agent has said I will put you in at £550 but don't be surprised if they won't move from £525. Not a shabby rate at all either way.
      Easy way for the agent to make an extra £25/day - who blinks first!

Comment

Looking at the numbers you should take it unless you have another offer at £575.

But the principal that you take a rate cut over sitting on the bench hands an advantage to the agent/client.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
          Easy way for the agent to make an extra £25/day - who blinks first!
          Not really. The agent was on a flat 9% and while the 525 was a going rate, I'd done a good contract for the agent before. Thanks for your concern though.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Not really. The agent was on a flat 9% and while the 525 was a going rate, I'd done a good contract for the agent before. Thanks for your concern though.
            Sorry, I was speaking generally (not specifically) - I was unconcerned

Comment

Working...
            X