• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permanent Offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont see much rates higher up North over £350 doing what I do ( u see the odd 375-400).

Salary wise this was about 85-90k last year

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJizzle View Post
      thanks all the quick replies.

I would probably be happy with 55-60 + benefits (car/car allowance etc.) - and think that they may offer around here. Even on that I know I wouldnt be coming out with as much as contracting.

I like working at the place and could possibly get working from home once a fortnight (possibly once a week)
      You've got to forget this. If you constantly dwell on that you'll never be happy. They are completely different beasts so move on from comparing the difference in income.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Start off with a different question...
        How much do you need to be paid? (not want, but need)

So, take a look at your monthly outgoings from your personal account. What does that total up to?

That's the minimum amount after tax you can afford to live on based on your current lifestyle.
        A quick bit of calculating back will tell you what your gross annual salary needs to be.

Then add on some for holidays, savings etc.

That's how you get your minimum.

45 on my last job left me plenty of money every month - so i'd need 45 plus the travel costs as a minimum (say 48k)

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
          My view is that you are not at a good career stage to go back to permie. When your rates are 500-700 is the first sweet spot. 1.2K is the next one.

Your career/income progression is going to happen a lot faster (on average) while contracting at this time.
          Sorry but this is just .... well...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You've got to forget this. If you constantly dwell on that you'll never be happy. They are completely different beasts so move on from comparing the difference in income.
            yeah that's what I was trying to get at - I know they wont ever match up - unless they stupidly offered me 100k

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJizzle View Post
              yeah that's what I was trying to get at - I know they wont ever match up - unless they stupidly offered me 100k
              If they do you might find some arrogant northern idiot sitting at your chair when you get in on Monday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Sorry but this is just .... well...
                I don't see why. 500 - 700 puts you in the 80K+ range. 1.2K puts you in private equity/VC positions where they need a high level tech/man sitting at an investment.

In the 300s I think it is much more sensible to choose your own training & projects rather than letting HR do it for you. And where exactly do you stand in the pecking order for the training budget?

Comment

90 mile return journey feels OK when contracting because it's not a 'forever job'. When you're permanent then it will feel like a real grind and the new permie smell will soon wear off. The fuel costs coming out of your post-tax permie income will hit you too, as will the mileage added to your car.

I commute 120 miles each day, around 3 hours there and back on average. I have been doing this for a while now and I accept it because it's for a contract at a decent rate and don't mind the place. To me, it's just important that I get back home each night (I'm sick of consulting away, having done too much in the past).

The client has tried to make me permie in the past but has now given up. I wouldn't do, not for any money, because it's just too far. My next permie job will need to be local, within a 30 minute commute so that I can enjoy it and strike the work/life balance right.

BTW if you think you will be allowed to WFH then get that written into your permie contract and be specific, e.g. you are allowed to WFH 1 day a week on a day agreed with line manager etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    90 mile return journey feels OK when contracting because it's not a 'forever job'. When you're permanent then it will feel like a real grind and the new permie smell will soon wear off. The fuel costs coming out of your post-tax permie income will hit you too, as will the mileage added to your car.
                    My thoughts were along these lines as well. I'd have to be on a train to do 45mi each way; I just don't have the temperament for a long driving commute.

Once my car loan and support payments end I could actually consider sub-45k pay, but I don't think I'd want to be doing standby cover. In fact the latter would potentially keep me contracting as well.

Comment

whenever i get asked if i want to go permie i quote minimum of 6 figures please and head of the world title plus 50 days holiday and huge bonus.That normally gets rid of them but once or twice they called my bluff and i pop along for an interview to see if anyone will actually offer me this. no joy yet

Comment

Working...
                      X