• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client wants me on site at all times. .....can I refuse?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    "Can I refuse?" Sure. There's a guy who posts here who will tell you how to apply for JSA.

Earn trust before you ask to be trusted. The guy who asks to be trusted when he hasn't earned it won't be.

Either that or be good enough at what you do that they have to accept your terms. Get better at what you do, or add qualifications that no one else has. Then you can WFH all the time if you want.
    Let me know OP because I get the feeling it will happen if you kick off about this.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Wot? No unrelated story about something that has happened to you or a mate?
      Can you claim JSA from home? No, you even have to go into the office.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Can you claim JSA from home? No, you even have to go into the office.
        That was rubbish. Tell me another story Uncle LondonManc.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I always thought working from home was a perk; I also only tended to leverage it because there was some reason I needed to be at home: child care, someone working on the flat, signed for parcel, etc.

Such entitlement these days...

Comment

That was rubbish. Tell me another story Uncle LondonManc.
            Come and sit on my knee son and suck on a Werthers.
            I had this friend, right, .....

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

For what its worth, I'd be a bit annoyed too if I found out once I got there that everyone else was able to.

You can certainly ask and see if they will tell you the reason.

But again, not much you can do if they say no.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                For what its worth, I'd be a bit annoyed too if I found out once I got there that everyone else was able to.
                But why? It was made perfectly clear before hand. I just don't get it.

I'd see it as an opportunity. I know I can't work it and started on that foot and when I get there I see an opportunity to deliver hard, gain some respect and possibly get some WFH for myself. Bargain.....
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

But why? It was made perfectly clear before hand. I just don't get it.

I'd see it as an opportunity. I know I can't work it and started on that foot and when I get there I see an opportunity to deliver hard, gain some respect and possibly get some WFH for myself. Bargain.....
                  Correct. Always considered it a reward for delivery/building trust if it hasn't been discussed in advance.

Comment

I have the opposite problem, I want to work in the office more but no one else would be there, and I am not allowed to hot desk in my office of choice. So here I am working from home 4-5 days a week, it's terrible.

I am actually getting stir crazy as I have not had a nice relaxing night in a hotel so far this year!

Comment

Wot? No unrelated story about something that has happened to you or a mate?
                      I was looking forward to Jackanory time with PC

Comment

Working...
                      X