• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor PM rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    NLUK, you put that better than I did - yes, experience counts for little in terms of the rate, but your experience of past contracts tells you how much you have got in the past.
    The OP is a permie. Therefore I'd say that experience will be a significant factor in what rate he might get. Contracting experience = 0 years often means lower rate.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      The OP is a permie. Therefore I'd say that experience will be a significant factor in what rate he might get. Contracting experience = 0 years often means agent shafts you on your first gig.
      FTFY
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I do think contractor rates for PM is being driven down purely by the number of candidates out there....it's particularly bad for infrastructure....

many permies are more then happy to take £300 a day and it's definitely dragging the rate down....

now if you're a PM in niche areas such as financial regulatory projects, ERPs that has to be that particular favor and nothing else, etc....rates are much better....

I wish I had gone into ERP years ago...they run for years and years and rates are pretty good....

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          FTFY
          Lol. Very true. Good FTFY that.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Take the 400 look for a 500 role that's the beauty of being a contractor

Comment

My last contract - Deffo!

I recently was looking for PM roles for nigh-on 6 months. Previously I was on £650 but I got increasingly price-elastic (or desparate, which ever way you look at it).

I applied for roles going down to under £365. I went all the way to Lloyds in Glasgow (£364.50) after a successful telephone interview only to be mysteriously dumped when they saw me F2F.

Curiously I subsequently reeled in a very pleasant £500 role in the City, up against 7 other people. That was however some 130 leads and 9 interviews.

I truly don't know what is going on, but I would persuade you that a lot of what appears on eg Jobserve is dross. LBG are not going to get anyone by phone calls.They have to go out looking for the down-and-outs like me.

If you keep plugging away you will get something matching your skills. It's however very tough at the moment.
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                mysteriously dumped when they saw me F2F.
                Is that because they won't take on people daft enough to travel to Glasgow for a rate like that?

Or possibly.....

That said looking like that you could have passed as a local.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post

Curiously I subsequently reeled in a very pleasant £500 role in the City, up against 7 other people. That was however some 130 leads and 9 interviews.
                  You got 9 interviews on 130 leads with clientco or talks with agencies? If with clientco...wow wish had such a hit ratio.

Comment

As my FTFY alluded to, take the 400; consider it a "First Gig Agency Shaft Tax" and then don't discuss previous/current rates with your next gig's agent. Simply aim for 500.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      As my FTFY alluded to, take the 400; consider it a "First Gig Agency Shaft Tax" and then don't discuss previous/current rates with your next gig's agent. Simply aim for 500.
                      Yup.

Also, I don't get this idea that 0 years experience as a contractor is a negative, you either have x years experience in your chosen field\role or you don't.

Comment

Working...
                      X