• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice on becoming a Java contractor, minimum experience

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on becoming a Java contractor, minimum experience

Hello, ok so basically I'm a Java developer thinking about going contracting. Just wondering if anyone out there can give me any advice, esp with respect to experience required. Also, I'm looking to get regular work primarily in the north west of England.

Briefly my experience is:

7 years enterprise software development, 6 in Java.
    Certifications:
    Certified Spring professional, core Spring.
    Certified Jpa developer ( I.e. Hibernate)
    Oracle certified web developer ( servlets, jsp etc)
    Oracle certified ejb developer
    Oracle certified Java programmer

Many thanks for any advice.

It doesn't matter how many years experience you have got before you go contracting it matters:
    1. Who that experience is with, and
    2. Is there a market for your experience?

I suggest you look at the job boards and see if there is a market for your skills in the area you want to work in. If the rates are pants then you need to work out how to move up the food chain or get more niche skills.

Also be aware that lots of contractors have to travel around the country or even work in Europe when there is no work locally unless they want to spend over a year on the bench.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Indeed, it's also easier to find your first contract via someone you already know. With the current uncertain outlook, you want to be sure you are making the move at the right time. Ask around - do you have friends in a variety of companys, are any looking for contract support?

Comment

Originally posted by Coder2016 View Post
        Hello, ok so basically I'm a Java developer thinking about going contracting. Just wondering if anyone out there can give me any advice, esp with respect to experience required. Also, I'm looking to get regular work primarily in the north west of England.
        I've been trying to do that for the last 27 years without success.

I wish you better luck than me.

(Unless you are prepared to work for Injun rates - i.e. less ultimate takehome than a permie would get.)
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

I'm a Java developer and started contracting with 2.5 years experience after leaving uni.

I'm Midlands based and have managed to find contracts within an hours drive of home for the last 11 years with no more than a couple of unplanned weeks on the bench.

Maybe I've been lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by paulb567 View Post
            I'm Midlands based and have managed to find contracts... within an hours drive of home for the last 11 years..
            But the OP isn't in the Midlands, and he isn't looking for "regular work" there.

And "within an hours drive" of the Midlands you are covering half of England - especially Southwards, where most of the contracts happen to be located. ..So even further away from where the OP lives and wants to work.

Maybe I've been lucky.
            I'm London-based, and have managed to find contracts for the last 27 years. So I guess I must be "lucky" too.

Still can't see how that's helping the OP. though.
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

I'm a Java developer and started contracting with 2.5 years experience after leaving uni.

I'm Midlands based and have managed to find contracts within an hours drive of home for the last 11 years with no more than a couple of unplanned weeks on the bench.

Maybe I've been lucky.
              Lucky or cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                Lucky or cheap!
                +1 Plenty of Java contracts in the Brum area paying 2 to 3 hundred notes a day
                Last edited by administrator; 24 February 2016, 10:53. Reason: WNLS!

Comment

No winking in the professional forums please.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X