• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client Dictating Hours of Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eman View Post
    The OP said the "manager" in this case was actually a fellow contractor...
    Yes, and the rest of my team are a mix of contractors and consultants, of which most can work from home and travel up from London. So they stay In the week and work from home on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
      No, I don't do support work so this does not apply to me. The general culture of the office however is that people stay until 5pm and after that time so it does feel as though many eyes are me when I leave the office...
      If it is not stated in your contract (I have some doubts about it), you should not follow or even respect "general culture of the office" of this client. Just think about it like this: this is not your manager but representative of your client and she's role is managing relationship between client and supplier. Will anyone ever tell supplier - "we working here until 5pm"? Of course if it is not contractual obligation. Not I guess...
      Just continue leaving at the convenient time and let her decide how to deal with it. And be prepared to walk.

Comment

It is still quite possible for the manager to be ignorant of crontracotrs and inexperienced in hiring them, even if she herself is a contractor.

If other contractors stick rigidly to these times, that is a fairly good reason to fall in line (when in Rome...). It is also a good reason to leave at the next renewal, if the timings are important to you.

Comment

Personally I like to start late and finish early. 35-37 hrs a week billed hourly.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I've recently started a contract and, leaving at 4.30pm fits in with my personal/family needs. My contract states 37 and a half hours a week as standard and, although I'm certainly not a clock watcher and will stay longer if my workload calls for it I've been coming on site at 8.30am and taking a half hour lunch. This hasn't seem to have gone well with my manager
            Whoa, hold it there old sport.

1. You need to change your attitude towards your client. Don't treat your Point of contact as a "manager".
            2. A quiet word with your point of contact should sort this out.
            3. If it doesn't, then either leave or suck it up.
            4. What is your war chest like?
            5. How "good" is your skillset?
            6. How easy is it to find another contract?

etc ....

Comment

No, I don't do support work so this does not apply to me. The general culture of the office however is that people stay until 5pm and after that time so it does feel as though many eyes are me when I leave the office. . So it seems that I can discuss this with the client (who is a contractor herself! ) and if I don't get the desired result either stick it out for the 6 months and do what she asks, which as northernladuk implied, could open the doors for more control freakish behaviour. Or second option is to just ignore her and work the hours I want to and to my contract terms at the risk of annoying the client, working in an uncomfortable atmosphere and possibly risking termination. Thirdly, nip the whole thing in the bud and hand my notice in (currently a month). Which would you be inclined to do? Not sure whether my agent would be on my side
              How good is your warchest ? And how confident are you of landing another gig ? Answers to these should help you decide which option to take

Comment

If they're telling you what hours you should be working, you're going to end up being well within IR35.

If she's a contractor, then she needs to be made aware of that fact; discuss it in your next 4:30. If you get nowhere with this and you're both through the same agent, contact the agent, advising that IR35 status is being risked by her and you never had working hours agreed.

If all else fails KHITC Oops, we're not in General.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

either stick it out for the 6 months and do what she asks, which as northernladuk implied, could open the doors for more control freakish behaviour. Or second option is to just ignore her and work the hours I want to and to my contract terms at the risk of annoying the client, working in an uncomfortable atmosphere and possibly risking termination. Thirdly, nip the whole thing in the bud and hand my notice in (currently a month). Which would you be inclined to do?
                  I'd consider doing #4. Stick by what they want maybe 3 days a week and work the schedule that is better for you two days a week. Tell her that you want to accommodate them as much as you can, so you'll be staying until 5 more often, usually three days a week, but that you ARE an independent contractor, and the right to dictate specific hours isn't in the contract you agreed. When the contract is up, if they want to renew with different terms you'll be glad to discuss it with them.

This would actually give you a really strong IR35 position, I think. "They wanted me until 5, and I agreed to do that half the time or so in the interests of client relations, but I certainly didn't concede control and I still left before 5 quite frequently." You will not only have not conceded control, you'll have made a point of not doing so. And yet, you've given her enough that she can view it as a win for her.

And then, if they want an extension, and you are so inclined, you can even agree to specific hours if it is important to them -- for a price.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                    I'd consider doing #4. Stick by what they want maybe 3 days a week and work the schedule that is better for you two days a week. Tell her that you want to accommodate them as much as you can, so you'll be staying until 5 more often, usually three days a week, but that you ARE an independent contractor, and the right to dictate specific hours isn't in the contract you agreed. When the contract is up, if they want to renew with different terms you'll be glad to discuss it with them.

This would actually give you a really strong IR35 position, I think. "They wanted me until 5, and I agreed to do that half the time or so in the interests of client relations, but I certainly didn't concede control and I still left before 5 quite frequently." You will not only have not conceded control, you'll have made a point of not doing so. And yet, you've given her enough that she can view it as a win for her.

And then, if they want an extension, and you are so inclined, you can even agree to specific hours if it is important to them -- for a price.
                    Specific hours leads to inside IR35, no? Would have to be a significant rate increase.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Specific hours leads to inside IR35, no? Would have to be a significant rate increase.
                      It's a minor flag really. Complying with clients hours could be classed as professional courtesy. If they insist a little too strongly I'd be wondering what else is going on though.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X