• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

German 183 Day Rule

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German 183 Day Rule

Hi all,

I'm sure it's been posted before but I cannot seem to get a definitive answer regarding my current situation & the 183 day rule for working in Germany.

I'm currently in Germany in two minds whether to go onto the German Tax System as it stands due to my current situation, which is; Worked for 3 days in February 2016 in Germany, Worked again for 153 days from July - December 2016 & have now just returned currently sitting on around 160 days since February 2016.

Can anyone shed any light on when my days do actually return to zero, I understand the rolling year concept as in go back 365 days from the current day & add up the days within that period which in current circumstance is about the same minus the days in February...

So in another month or so I hit the 183 day mark...

I'm hoping my interpretation is about right regarding the above but if anyone can shed any new information on the subject it would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Are you a time traveller? Since you only mention months in 2016, some of which haven't happened yet ...

I think you needed to register with the Finanzamt practically from day one. This suggests that the 183 day rule is correct if you were operating as a Freiberufler, but you have to measure your residence from the start of your stay in Germany to when it ends, and things like renting a flat mean that the Finanzamt will assume you're there for the entire duration.

The German taxman is definitely not your friend. Get an accountant onto this ASAP. He or she will work out how much you owe, and be prepared for it to be a lot if you never paid any taxes in Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by Show Me The Money View Post
      Hi all,

I'm sure it's been posted before but I cannot seem to get a definitive answer regarding my current situation & the 183 day rule for working in Germany.

I'm currently in Germany in two minds whether to go onto the German Tax System as it stands due to my current situation, which is; Worked for 3 days in February 2016 in Germany, Worked again for 153 days from July - December 2016 & have now just returned currently sitting on around 160 days since February 2016.

Can anyone shed any light on when my days do actually return to zero, I understand the rolling year concept as in go back 365 days from the current day & add up the days within that period which in current circumstance is about the same minus the days in February...

So in another month or so I hit the 183 day mark...

I'm hoping my interpretation is about right regarding the above but if anyone can shed any new information on the subject it would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
      If we read 2015 for 2016 throughout, your description of your work days makes sense.

It is "about the same"? About the same as what?

Comment

Read the thread, "Germany the taxman cometh", read about the cosy mutual tax sharing arrangement between the UK and German authorities , and then speak to a German tax accountant.

There is no excuse not to DYOR
        ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Working...
        X