• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 weeks into contract - can I invoke notice of termination and not work the term?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    - how would you like it if the agency/client terminated the contract 2 weeks in and didn't stick to the notice period?
    Notice periods are for permies.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Speaking as an employer, I'd be pretty miffed if someone did this to me especially if I'd brought them in for a project which had time constraints and I'd certainly be looking at the agency to compensate me for inconvenience caused. IMHO if you are happy to sign a contract then you should stick to it - how would you like it if the agency/client terminated the contract 2 weeks in and didn't stick to the notice period?
      If i lied at the interview then I wouldn't have an argument.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Notice periods are for permies.
        You know what I meant
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          What's wrong with the contract?
          Contact's not what I expected and the work/responsibilities more than I know I can handle. I know that by handing in my notice I will leave team in the tulip with at a critical time in the project with no one to immediately replace me but I couldn't do a month of this

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
            Contact's not what I expected and the work/responsibilities more than I know I can handle. I know that by handing in my notice I will leave team in the tulip with at a critical time in the project with no one to immediately replace me but I couldn't do a month of this
            Hand in your notice and be prepared to work it, hopefully the client will let you leave earlier, if not then you need to do the 4 weeks as per your contract. Someone will be along in a bit to tell you to do the same but then phone in sick

Comment

Don't hand your notice in then. Have a word with the key contact at client and explain the situation - that the role isn't as described, you don't feel that you are the best person for the job and wouldn't have taken the role if you knew it was going to be like it is. If you know anyone who can substitute in and do the role, then see if they're interested and if that's an option for the client manager.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

The contractor
                FTFY
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Speaking as an employer, I'd be pretty miffed if someone did this to me especially if I'd brought them in for a project which had time constraints and I'd certainly be looking at the agency to compensate me for inconvenience caused. IMHO if you are happy to sign a contract then you should stick to it - how would you like it if the agency/client terminated the contract 2 weeks in and didn't stick to the notice period?
                  Not one bit but it's party of daily life in the banking sector. Fight fire with fire. Business is business.

Comment

Do whatever the hell you like.

Be mindful that if/when you become more senior, you'll find the world around your career (business) a lot smaller, and people from the past have a habit of popping up at inconvenient moments.

Play by the rules of the contract to the letter, act with decorum, and do not think that burning your bridges because you have found a better contract is a marvellous thing.

Companies merge and get acquired in all tech sectors. Think & play the long game & for ****s sake play business acumen before bravado and pride.

Comment

2 weeks into contract - can I invoke notice of termination and not work the t...

Use your network to get some mentoring help.

I had a tough contract last year and asked for advice from a senior member of the IPSE forum (and here occasionally). He happily helped me to work through the situation.

You don't have to be on your own just because you're a contractor.

You might find then that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (and better at your work).
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X