• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 weeks into contract - can I invoke notice of termination and not work the term?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 I had this issue a few years ago, was sold a dummy by the agent and the project was a bit of a car crash, do you know what I did... sucked it up and got on with it, wasn't the clients fault after all, I got them out of a hole and after 4 months politely refused an extension to move on, 3 years later I am back at the client on a new exiting project, didn't go through the agent this time though, made sure I kept in touch with the HR manager here and (he's asked me back a couple of time over the last 2 years) and when I was available I took him up on the offer... motto is don't burn bridges!!!

Comment

I have left a number of gigs when the role changed/statement of work didn't meet the expectations/new "direction" meant IR35 had a potential to come into play. I have terminated the Professional relationship and negotiated my way out of toxic situations.

IMHO, your Professional integrity will not be negatively affected, since ultimately it is all about your Personal integrity, which affects YOU, your family and your co-workers (not colleagues!).

If the client lacks a professional attitude and respect, in practice, once you are "in contract" then you owe it to yourself to attempt to correct it, or else, "get ouf of Dodge"...
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

2 weeks into contract - can I invoke notice of termination and not work the t...

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
        I have left a number of gigs when the role changed/statement of work didn't meet the expectations/new "direction" meant IR35 had a potential to come into play. I have terminated the Professional relationship and negotiated my way out of toxic situations.

IMHO, your Professional integrity will not be negatively affected, since ultimately it is all about your Personal integrity, which affects YOU, your family and your co-workers (not colleagues!).

If the client lacks a professional attitude and respect, in practice, once you are "in contract" then you owe it to yourself to attempt to correct it, or else, "get ouf of Dodge"...
        You're describing a Death March project, the OP is describing a tough project where he feels he's in over his head.

It's important to recognise the difference between the two.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          You're describing a Death March project, the OP is describing a tough project where he feels he's in over his head.

It's important to recognise the difference between the two.
          After all these years, they all seem like a Death March...
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
            +1 I had this issue a few years ago, was sold a dummy by the agent and the project was a bit of a car crash, do you know what I did... sucked it up and got on with it, wasn't the clients fault after all, I got them out of a hole and after 4 months politely refused an extension to move on, 3 years later I am back at the client on a new exiting project, didn't go through the agent this time though, made sure I kept in touch with the HR manager here and (he's asked me back a couple of time over the last 2 years) and when I was available I took him up on the offer... motto is don't burn bridges!!!
            You're leaving again Jabbers?
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              After all these years, they all seem like a Death March...
              They all sound like opportunities to me
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X