• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pulling out of Contract after accepting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloudycontractor View Post
    It is the moral/reputational penalty that concerns me.

Then you have answered the question.

You've signed for contract A, you work contract A. Next time don't sign as fast.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

There will be no financial penalty for getting out of contract A.
      I wouldn't be so sure about that. Depends on when you are due to start and what loses the agent will incur. No penalty in the contract but they could sue you for breach (depending on the exact details of the situation)
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

New to breach of contract?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

It is your first contract, you have learnt a lesson.

A successful contractor will have built a reputation for honouring contracts, meeting deliverables and proving himself as reliable.

We all have had better offers in contract, and those of us with professional integrity have sat out the existing contract and often whole project. You are now in contract and a exit would be breach of contract.

Go with contract A and start your contracting career on solid foundations. It is personal discipline as well as professional image.

Comment

There is no moral issue. You are a business. Not Claire Raynor. Turn down B and you might find that A cancels your contract at the last moment. Look after number one.

At the moment you don't even have the gig. Go to interview. It might never be an issue.

Comment

Pretty simple then: will you pay a price for burning bridges? Scotland is a small market, so I've made it a point never to burn bridges because your name can get around pretty easy here. But if you're in London or whatever, maybe you can afford to piss off half the employers, I dunno?

Comment

If you want an opinion, you should forward with the contract A… and one lesson learned.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                  Pretty simple then: will you pay a price for burning bridges? Scotland is a small market, so I've made it a point never to burn bridges because your name can get around pretty easy here. But if you're in London or whatever, maybe you can afford to piss off half the employers, I dunno?
                  Seems youbare not employed by them that won't matter then will it?

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                    Scotland is a small, inconsequential region, with ideas above its station
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Would this be a case of contractus interruptus?

Comment

Working...
                      X