• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pulling out of Contract after accepting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go to interview at B, and get the gig. Inform A that they need to up their game rate-wise. Take which ever role suits your fancy, sending a sub to the other.

What's good enough for RBS is good enough for us. The words sauce, goose and gander spring to mind...

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
      Now who's kissing ass?
      Hmmmmm...not really...there are plenty of times when we have had a debate, on here, we don't always agree.
      You don't have to be kissing someones ass to suggest they are pragmatic .
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by cloudycontractor View Post
        There will be no financial penalty for getting out of contract A.
        It is the moral/reputational penalty that concerns me.
        Things like being photographed having sex with my cat would concern me as a moral/reputational penalty. Letting down one agent/one client would not.

Just for the record- the cat always turns me down....
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Good Day,

I am new to contracting and accepted my first IT contract last week through recruiter A. This contract is a 45 mile drive each way and is paying £400 per day for 4 months. I actually had an interview arranged for this week through recruiter B for a contract which is 7 mile drive, £500 per day and a minimum of 6 months (likely to extend as it is early project days). I already accepted and signed contract A and tried to cancel the interview for contract B but recruiter B convinced me that I should go to the interview anyway and then decide what is best for me as recruiter A will find somebody in no time.
          Obviously recruiter B is going to say that I should go for my benefit when it is simply for his benefit. However, I am stuck as to what is the right thing to do. Contract B is far better on paper and I feel I would benefit most from it but I do not like to mess people around and go back on my word. It is not how I like to act in life where possible.

Interested to know what others think about this...
          Hmm.. Let me think:

Contract A: 45 miles, £400 pd, 4 months.
          Contract B: 7 miles, £500 pd, 6 months.

Do you prefer "not messing people around" over +£4000 of expected value (and the option of much more EV)???

Comment

Probation Period!!!

If there is a probation period at client A - use this, agents, clients and even some contractors seem to forget this period works both ways,
            not just, we don't like you, you don't fit our culture, get yer hat and coat,- also if we don't like the environment, people, etc we can get our hat and
            coat ourselves - everyone's happy, check contract if probation period is there, after 1 day - Asta la Vista -

hope works out at client B

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              There is no moral issue. You are a business. Not Claire Raynor. Turn down B and you might find that A cancels your contract at the last moment. Look after number one.

At the moment you don't even have the gig. Go to interview. It might never be an issue.
              Well said, whats all this "they will sue you for losses stuff ?"

How many gigs have I been on when a "new" start contrator failed to appear on the first day. Do whats best for you, your self employed boot on other foot they would oik you out without a care. I sat on the bench weeks last year waiting for a promised gig to start in the end I took another role, I notice this week the promised gig of last year has appeared on job serve, its dog eat dog out their buddy.

Comment

Quick Update for all those who have taken the time to give me their opinions and tips...

Recruiter A had sent contract A with a mistake in the address so he had to re-issue the contract. He has now re-issued it and I am yet to accept it within the portal.

Following the interview, I have been offered contract B at £450 per day. It seems like it will be more interesting and varied. Also more challenging but I don't mind a challenge. And the drive was real nice so I could get used to doing that every day for 6 months.

Contract A is not due to start for another 3 weeks but as soon as I receive Contract B and have it reviewed by the accountants, I will let Recruiter A know ASAP and I am sure he is going to be fuming.

Comment

Quick Update for all those who have taken the time to give me their opinions and tips...

Recruiter A had sent contract A with a mistake in the address so he had to re-issue the contract. He has now re-issued it and I am yet to accept it within the portal.

Following the interview, I have been offered contract B at £450 per day. It seems like it will be more interesting and varied. Also more challenging but I don't mind a challenge. And the drive was real nice so I could get used to doing that every day for 6 months.

Contract A is not due to start for another 3 weeks but as soon as I receive Contract B and have it reviewed by the accountants, I will let Recruiter A know ASAP and I am sure he is going to be fuming.
                  However you paint it, I believe you have still accepted contract A, signed or not.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    However you paint it, I believe you have still accepted contract A, signed or not.
                    He said originally that he'd signed it. If that's not the case then he can stall and send it off for review.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      He said originally that he'd signed it. If that's not the case then he can stall and send it off for review.
                      I was talking about this part:-

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X