• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two contracts at same time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdhd View Post
    I have seen "big boys" do this at client co. But they have "Partner" contract, not a "Contractor" contract. And also they are not one-man band. They run a small operation with 8+ employees and sub-contractors.
    So not really the same thing at all then.....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Not really. It might have helped with the defunct BETs.l but IR35 is on a contract by contract basis. You could argue he's twice as likely to get investigated now

And IMO he will be on T&M daily rate contracts with an expectation from the clients to put 8 hours in during normal working hours. Doing both would put him in breach of both contracts and he would be fulfilling neither. Not a good way to do business at all.
      Yeah, well the context of my comment was if both clients are aware and one or both are fine with part-time work.

As to IR35, multiple concurrent clients has been cited in case law as a factor in IR35 rulings. It potentially impacts working practices relative to both SDC and MOO. It simply makes it harder for HMRC to argue that either contract is under IR35. And the BETs may be defunct, but the current talk is that we'll be getting another version before long, and if so, it's pretty likely that multiple concurrent clients will be a positive. It's not a silver bullet, but it does make it harder for HMRC to argue you are a disguised employee if you are running more than one client at a time.

Comment

What I am getting is its may be doable but tough. I think it's one of those things worth trying once to see how you handle it. Willing to put the work in so leaning towards giving it a try.

Comment

Another thread with only one answer that was ever going to be acceptable.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I did two gigs at once before, Gig one was a 9-5er and gig two was a 7-12ish.

Anyway after a few months the burn crept in and I canned one.

Still a great few months invoicing.

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

I had a WFH gig at the same time as an onsite stayaway role. Worked OK but don't underestimate how much it trashes your time - weekends take up the overspill and basically disappear.

As mentioned above though, invoicing / being paid by two clients at the same time is nice...

Boo

Comment

I did consider it when I was in my previous contract, which was 12 weeks contract, 4 days WFH and 1 day pw at client's client side. All 5 days basically doing nothing except for one or two emails per day and a daily conf call of 30 minutes. I looked mostly for part time contracts but those are very hard to get. In the end I found new contract (full time) which I could start immediately the day after the old one finished.

Comment

Best way to lose both contracts IMO.

Yes, I personally know of others who are doing it, but, this is usually for clients they know well, where they have a track record of good delivery.

Originally posted by mdhd View Post
                  I have seen "big boys" do this at client co. But they have "Partner" contract, not a "Contractor" contract. And also they are not one-man band. They run a small operation with 8+ employees and sub-contractors.
                  Totally irrelevant, then, as you are talking about consultancy. They all do this to a degree, even the real big boys.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

You could get away with the equivalent of 3 days for each client. Couldn't see how you'd manage to perform two 40-hour professional weeks concurrently to the best of your ability and/or an acceptable standard for both clients.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

It only works if the contracts are asymmetric or you're going to sub some of the work. It should be obvious that you can't run multiple T&M contracts on your own when all clients expect your availability at similar times. However, it's certainly possible to run multiple contracts concurrently. I have one contract that has a mixture of T&M and fixed price and two fixed price contracts, all WFH. As long as you're expected to deliver within a particular timeframe, rather than have a bum on seat at particular times, it's doable. This is common sense stuff though.

Comment

Working...
                      X