• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So frustrated with agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So frustrated with agencies

Hello,
    I'm posting on here as I feel so fed up with agencies. I am inbetween contracts at the moment and looking for admin roles. In my last role I worked as a consultant. I've just had a well-known agency contact me about an Operator role. According to him there is little difference between a Consultant, Administrator or Operator! Most of the time the agencies call me regarding Systems Analyst roles and I spend a lot of time explaining to them what that means! Only yesterday I had one of them call and he was confused as he didn't understand that what he described was the hardware and not the software! Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! So frustrating. How do they ever manage to place anyone?

You mean you didn't want to take a 50% cut and relocate?
    But you'd be an ideal match.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Admin roles? What you do mean by that? General business admin stuff? Aren't they mostly temp roles not contractor ones? Isn't admin an enduring role so it's gonna be a bit of an IR35 bear pit?

Must say I'm confused already so maybe not difficult to understand why the agent's are. I must admit at a certain level I can't see the difference between admin, consultant, operator either. It's just titles. Still just need a bod to do whatever.

Does your CV have too many keywords that are making you look like a Systems Analyst not an Admin person hence the calls? Agents rarely know much about the positions they are filling any more, they just keyword search and then call/email. It happens. I get emails for anything from PM, Service Delivery, and anything else vaguely IT related, even Electrical Engineering roles cause I had my HNC on a CV about 6 years ago!!

Can't help think it's not all the agents fault here and something can be improved at your end, your CV, linkedin profile, the need to grow some?

Being a contractor is about dealing with agents and being between gigs. It's what we do. The bit on client site is easy, even the permies can do it. If you can't handle agents you are going to be in for a very long miserable career.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've been a contractor since the late 80's. I'm talking about Systems Administration. I'll see what I can change.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Admin roles? What you do mean by that? General business admin stuff? Aren't they mostly temp roles not contractor ones? Isn't admin an enduring role so it's gonna be a bit of an IR35 bear pit?

Must say I'm confused already so maybe not difficult to understand why the agent's are. I must admit at a certain level I can't see the difference between admin, consultant, operator either. It's just titles. Still just need a bod to do whatever.

Does your CV have too many keywords that are making you look like a Systems Analyst not an Admin person hence the calls? Agents rarely know much about the positions they are filling any more, they just keyword search and then call/email. It happens. I get emails for anything from PM, Service Delivery, and anything else vaguely IT related, even Electrical Engineering roles cause I had my HNC on a CV about 6 years ago!!

Can't help think it's not all the agents fault here and something can be improved at your end, your CV, linkedin profile, the need to grow some?

Being a contractor is about dealing with agents and being between gigs. It's what we do. The bit on client site is easy, even the permies can do it. If you can't handle agents you are going to be in for a very long miserable career.
          sysadmin v sysoperator

HTHBIDI
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

No but maybe if if you quote my entire response to add two words it might.... Oh you did... Never mind
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Depends on the company. Our sys admin people are called "Operations". The company recruits for "ops", but people with sys admin are ideal for the job.

So if you reject ops out of hand you may be throwing out perfectly good opportunities.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Depends on the company. Our sys admin people are called "Operations". The company recruits for "ops", but people with sys admin are ideal for the job.

So if you reject ops out of hand you may be throwing out perfectly good opportunities.
                I have also seen "LiveOps" becoming more common to contrast it with "DevOps". Both are ops but with different focus.

Comment

I really wouldn't judge a job based on the titles, they vary hugely from company to company.

Whether you are a System Analyst, Administrator, Operations or Consultant, it's all the same tulip.

As a contractor you should be asking questions on the type of technologies or skills they require and not the job title.

And btw, I change all my titles in my C.V to what I think best matches.

And yes, agents are annoying arse holes.

Comment

Role titles in our industry are unofficial and confusing, and unfortunately subject to fashionable changes by zeitgeist-chasing HR departments. My role is similar to the OPs and exists at the junction of several disciplines. It certainly doesn't make searching any easier. Pain for the agencies too, I imagine.

Comment

Working...
                    X