• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

overseas rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

overseas rates

Hi,
    I've been offered the chance of working in Paris.. I've been asked what daily rate I'd be looking at.. its a six month gig minimum.
    I'll probably take my missus so would need decent accomodation.. looking its around 2000euros per month for a decent place.. I've no idea what I should be charging the client.. I was thinking about the 700-750 euros per day..

any advice appreciated.

C

Originally posted by cjonline View Post
    Hi,
    I've been offered the chance of working in Paris.. I've been asked what daily rate I'd be looking at.. its a six month gig minimum.
    I'll probably take my missus so would need decent accomodation.. looking its around 2000euros per month for a decent place.. I've no idea what I should be charging the client.. I was thinking about the 700-750 euros per day..

any advice appreciated.

C
    Could your skills command that in UK equiv.? When I get Paris sniffs they are always less than UK rates which makes it pointless. Plus even though the spec is all in English, they still want you to have decent French I've found. In fact the last one I had, wanted fluent English (spec all in English) agent called me and asked me (in French) if I spoke French, I said un peu, est-ce nécessaire? etc and he hung up.

Comment

You should be charging as much as you can get away with. The question to ask is - how much are you worth?

As a quick rule of thumb, I won't take a contract with a daily rate less than a week's rent. But generally, I'd be asking rather more.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Could your skills command that in UK equiv.? When I get Paris sniffs they are always less than UK rates which makes it pointless. Plus even though the spec is all in English, they still want you to have decent French I've found. In fact the last one I had, wanted fluent English (spec all in English) agent called me and asked me (in French) if I spoke French, I said un peu, est-ce nécessaire? etc and he hung up.
        Depends.. in Scotland I doubt I would get half that rate but in London I'm sure I could get a bit more.. as I said I've no idea what to ask for so just chancing my luck.. the agent seems to think 700-750 euros is fair play.

Comment

Totally up to you. Do you want it just to cover your living expenses over there and you consider it lifestyle change for a short time or do you expect it still to delivery the savings etc that a gig here would?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The tax régime in France makes few contracts worth while especially with the difficulty in finding short term rental accommodation.

Also have a look at the Euro exchange rate.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              You should be charging as much as you can get away with. The question to ask is - how much are you worth?

As a quick rule of thumb, I won't take a contract with a daily rate less than a week's rent. But generally, I'd be asking rather more.
              My rule of thumb is I won't spend more than a days rate on travel and accom, tight arse Northerner though.

Another thing to consider is the Euro/Sterling rate, and the cost of converting to Sterling, you'll have to do it somewhere along the line and it can get quite costly.

Comment

I've found rates in Europe to be lower than what I'd get here when you factor in converting it back to pounds.

Ask for as much as you think you'll get not how much would be willing to do the job for.

If you're still at the interview stage the you've got to consider the agent looking to place cheaper options and take a bigger cut. If you've already been offered the role then you're in a better position.

Comment

My experience in Paris is that rates are low. I think it comes from the mindset that social provisions are very high, which may justify lower salaries but that doesn't properly apply to contracting, where you have to pay for health insurance, pension etc yourself.

Comment

The client is looking for a contractor, not a contractor + wife. They'll be looking at a rate based on what they think is reasonable for that.

You've stated a figure of €700-750 per day, but not said what the role is.
                    Is that a reasonable figure for the role?
                    At the current exchange rate is that more or less than you are currently on?
                    Is it more or less than is average for your previous roles?
                    Have you looked on websites to see how much similar roles go for in Paris (or even in France)?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X