• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Agreement Expired

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor Agreement Expired

Hi all, just hoping for some advice/input from anyone out there really.

Im a web developer, i run my own business. Back in November 2015 i signed a contractor agreement with another web development company, the idea being that they needed me to help them make a new website for a previous customer of mine as i know the ins and outs of there current system plus this other company doesn't know how to integrate websites with the various other applications currently being used. So this web development company is supposed to be designing and making a new website and i am integrating the more advanced parts that go on in the background.

The contractor agreement however stats under the sub heading 'Services' - Company shall retain Contractor and Contractor shall provide Company with services (the 'Services'), which shall include, without limitation: Web development and website maintenance services for 30 hours per week.

Later in the contract under 'Term' - This Agreement shall commence on the date and year first above written and shall
    continue for a period of 4 months unless earlier terminated in accordance with this
    Agreement.

Now the 4 month period has passed and the website is still unfinished. I am reluctant to do any more work as it seems i am doing about 95% of the project and im sure im barely getting 25% of the overall website costs. Im certainly working at bottom rate for this kind of project.

What i want to know is as the services section doesnt actually state that my work is to complete a website and at no place in the contract does it refer to any particular website or the completion of, am i legally ok to simply wash my hands of this mess now as the 4 months has passed?

Thanks in advance for any feedback and for your time in reading my plee!

I don't see a problemap from what you've said.

But alternatively, it seems like you're in a good position to seriously increase your rate, if they need you as much as you say.

Looks for other gigs as you approach the end date. If you land one paying more, it'll put you in a great no lose negotiating position.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
      I don't see a problemap from what you've said.

But alternatively, it seems like you're in a good position to seriously increase your rate, if they need you as much as you say.

Looks for other gigs as you approach the end date. If you land one paying more, it'll put you in a great no lose negotiating position.
      Agreed.

Originally posted by beardied View Post
      Im a web developer, i run my own business.
      you seriously need to understand the contracts you are signing.

You happen to have a Ltd company, which you do work through. You appear to be a long way however from "running a business" if you have no idea what your contract means, or what you are tied to
      Last edited by jmo21; 16 March 2016, 11:52.

Comment

Working...
      X