• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Canary Wharf

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Far more interesting work outside of banking if you ask me.

Everyone in banking I know is crying of job cuts and impending doom. Banking jobs tend to be very focussed roles with huge amounts of process, just the kind of job which lends itself to being outsourced.

Outside of banking it's much more varied and if you want to stay near finance, there is a lot of interesting fintech jobs out there. I'm working for a fintech startup at the moment, I say startup but they've got £10m of cash to spend in the next 12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by dogzilla View Post
      Far more interesting work outside of banking if you ask me.

Everyone in banking I know is crying of job cuts and impending doom. Banking jobs tend to be very focussed roles with huge amounts of process, just the kind of job which lends itself to being outsourced.

Outside of banking it's much more varied and if you want to stay near finance, there is a lot of interesting fintech jobs out there. I'm working for a fintech startup at the moment, I say startup but they've got £10m of cash to spend in the next 12 months.
      but does it pay 500+ ?

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
        but does it pay 500+ ?
        Yes. The gap between finance and the rest is shrinking, but it will depend on the specific niche.
        Last edited by dogzilla; 17 March 2016, 15:03.

Comment

Originally posted by EmmyB View Post
          Hi - I'm new on here and new to Contracting. Can I get some advise on contracting at Canary Wharf at HSBC or any other of the banks?

What's it like and what kind of pay can I expect? How do they treat contractors?

TIA
          you are 10 years too late. go work somewhere else.

Hsbc? one of the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
            Sorry I do not believe you DV takes a long time (up to 6months) as does SC (up to 3 months). CRB does not take long its the most basic check sometimes they ask for it then let you start anyway as they cannot afford to wait or do it in the background after you have started did you get a certificate?
            My SC took 11 months last year but one when the average for everyone else in the office was 2 months.

Comment

Originally posted by EmmyB View Post
              Hi - I'm new on here and new to Contracting. Can I get some advise on contracting at Canary Wharf at HSBC or any other of the banks?

What's it like and what kind of pay can I expect? How do they treat contractors?

TIA
              Depends on your area of expertise, skillset and experience. We cannot advise on this without knowing more info.

Comment

Working at British or European bank is lot easier than working for a US bank imo, NY 5hrs behind (4hrs at mo) so your colleagues over there don't usually starting bothering you till after there lunch which is just went you want to leave to go home. RBS / HSBC its a lot less stress and hours, Lloyds well even easier.

CW I don't like generally expensive, boring and too many tossers about, I much prefer to be in the city.

Agree with other posters banking IT is passed its prime, I would like to work outside of banking now and hope to do so.
                I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

There was a time in banking where if you asked for a 5% increase they would laugh in your face, tell you not to be so ridiculous and then give you a 10% rise, but those days are long gone.

Banks are under pressure and weighed down with regulation, so it's a lot tougher. One option worth considering is to work for a finance tech company.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Turned my back on the investment banking sector 2 years ago and it's gotten worse and worse and worse. As has been said already, regulation, offshoring, consultancies, contraction in the market, rate cuts, enforced leave. It's a horrible environment to be in. I caught it at the tail end I feel (2008) and whilst the market was hard back then, it was nothing like what it is now.

As has been said by others, the difference in rates outside London has narrowed now to make it not worth considering if you don't already live in London

Comment

As others have said, without niche business skills, avoid.
                      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                      X