• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC clearance with a caution, help required.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wage Slave View Post
    Hello, newbie here, but might be entering the contract market very shortly, so I have been busy reading stuff here.

Just to provide a bit of contrast to this often asked question. I "fessed up" the following -

3 x CCJs - all satisfied
    2 x drug possession charges (amphetamines & cannabis) - fines
    1 x possession of a firearm (shotgun) - 6 weeks

And yes, SC clearance was finally granted, although my sphincter was clenching a bit for a few weeks.
    Yes there was also a "background story" to the shotgun, but that's for another day.

As others have said, it doesn't matter if you ****ed up many years ago. Its having the balls (and integrity) to stand up and say "hey I ****ed up".
    Call me a pedant if you like but a shotgun isn't a firearm as far as UK law is concerned.

Your story reinforces what is usually said on these pages, and that is to 'fess up.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      Call me a pedant if you like but a shotgun isn't a firearm as far as UK law is concerned.

Your story reinforces what is usually said on these pages, and that is to 'fess up.
      You're not a pedant, you're wrong.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...l_2016_v20.pdf

1.1. What is meant by the term 'Firearm’?
      ‘Firearm’ means a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged.
      Shotguns are subject to different certification standards for possesion compared to other types of firearm, but are still classed as firearms for legal purposes. A shotgun certificate covers shotguns specifically, a firearms certificate covers all other types of firearm.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        You're not a pedant, you're wrong.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...l_2016_v20.pdf

Shotguns are subject to different certification standards for possesion compared to other types of firearm, but are still classed as firearms for legal purposes. A shotgun certificate covers shotguns specifically, a firearms certificate covers all other types of firearm.

1) It's a "Guide" not the law.
        2) read further on.....
        "only a court can decide whether a particular weapon is capable of causing a lethal injury and would therefore be
        considered a firearm for the purposes of the Acts"

/uberpedant
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          1) It's a "Guide" not the law.
          2) read further on.....
          "only a court can decide whether a particular weapon is capable of causing a lethal injury and would therefore be
          considered a firearm for the purposes of the Acts"

/uberpedant
          The definition I quoted is the legal definition from the act as per sections 2.2 and 2.3 of that document.

And if you read your second point in context you'll see it refers to Airsoft, other air powered or similar weapons etc. not to those already recognised as Firearms. If there is a debate as to the status of a firearm the only variable that may have to be adjudicated is the "lethality" of the weapon. See sections 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6 of the document.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

The shogun was classified as a section 2 firearm and I was charged for possession without a certificate with regards to that part of the firearms act.

Comment

But anyway, I wouldn't worry about a caution or anything else really unless you have been done for armed robbery, treason or fraud, you should probably be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by qwertyjack View Post
                Hi there,

I have a question regarding getting Security Clearance, hopefully someone can help me or point me in the right direction to get information.

I'm hoping to leave my job shortly and start a contract role where I will be required to have SC.

I'm worried that I won't get SC due to the following offences.

10 years ago I was arrested for ABH, as someone smashed up one of my shop windows, but the outcome was no further action.

18 months ago, I got very drunk and bought some cocaine, I was subsequently arrested for being drunk and disorderly and got a fine, but was also given a caution for possession of a controlled substance.

What are my chances of getting SC?

Thank you all in advance.

Jack

Hi,

Don't know if you are still active on here. I was just wondering how you got on with SC, I have previously received a caution for drunk and disorderly (around a year ago), and my job requires SC.

Did you get clearance?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by flint123 View Post
                  Hi,

Don't know if you are still active on here. I was just wondering how you got on with SC, I have previously received a caution for drunk and disorderly (around a year ago), and my job requires SC.

Did you get clearance?

Thanks
                  a) Strictly speaking he can't tell you.

b) Even if he could it wouldn't be of any help since you are looking at a different assessment

c) Have you read any of this thread or the first page of the big sticky thread on the subject? Your answer is in there.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

In order to fail SC you need to show that you are either untrustworthy or could be put under duress to reveal information. The former means that convictions for anything dishonest such as fraud are a big no no. Shoplifting as a teenager is not likely to prevent SC clearance.

The latter tends to be more subjective, so this is where not offering up information (embarrassment) may come in. Any arrests therefore need to be disclosed but unless convicted are very unlikely to cause any bother. Having a relative with a dubious country passport may also impact here.

Comment

Working...
                    X