• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contract work..pls advise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Yeah. There are differing levels of politeness available to clients.

Super nice: you finish at the end of your contract (3 months)
    Nice: they serve you your week/month notice and you do that, but it's before the end of the contract:
    Not so nice: Thanks for your help, please leave
    I've never had anything other than the "super nice" scenario happen to me.
    Does this mean I'm god?

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
      I've never had anything other than the "super nice" scenario happen to me.
      Does this mean I'm god?
      God or cheap
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by sdyson31 View Post
        I think first important thing is to find out if i am inside IR35. Do i need to ask Client about IR35 or an agent can answer this?

I have been told that agency will be paying me not client and they have offered me to use their umbrella company. I am keen on LTD company as i believe it can give you bit extra, agency has mentioned that umbrella rates are £250 and LTD rates are around £275. Should i negotiate more and can i directly ask the client what are they paying to agency?
        This is getting really painful.... So my fundamental points being completely missed here. Have you done any reading up on this or are you just spamming questions? There is a ton of stuff to read on the right hand side links.

IR35 is your problem, not the clients or agents so no, you don't speak to either of them about it. All you need to do is negotiate with the agent to make sure your contract is outside.. which I very much doubt this one will be. If the agreement is a rolling contract then they aren't going to change the engagement just to suit your tax situation. They may alter some clauses but you've got to make sure it's the working practice as well, not just the contract.

Of course the agent is paying you. Again, you really need to understand your relationship with all parties better.

Are you sure you are keen on running a business with this level of research and knowledge? I'd seriously speak to a brolly and get some numbers. I suspect it will be down to how much travel you do but really, go speak to an umbrella at the very least.

I am very surprised they have different rates for brolly vs LTD. Not heard of that before. You can try negotiate but they do this for a living, you seem to be struggling. Unless you really are prepared to drop the gig, which you aren't, you are wasting your time. Do NOT use their umbrella.. Give Lucy at ContractorUmbrella a ring.

Don't ask the client what they are paying the agency. They won't tell you and it's not going to impress them. That is an agreement between them. You'll probably find out at some point when you are on site.

You really need to do a little more reading and try and understand your business, it's relationship and some common sense around the situation. It's not rocket science but there can be a lot of detail, and we haven't gotten to that yet.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          It's not rocket science but there can be a lot of detail, and we haven't gotten to that yet.
          And this is where on CUK we are all very happy to help.....

Comment

Welcome to contracting.

Read the guides, that's the key.

Personally, in your situation, I'd go umbrella. Simply because you're so new to it all and haven't taken enough time yet to read up how to go limited company. Well, that and seeing if contracting is for you. By contracting, I don't mean perma-temping.

The agency contract with the client is nothing to do with you - as long as you're happy with your rate, the cut the agent makes shouldn't matter unless the client is expecting you to be some superstar because the agent is on an 80% cut or something daft.

As for rolling three-months, they often look like inside IR35.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

This is getting really painful.... So my fundamental points being completely missed here. Have you done any reading up on this or are you just spamming questions? There is a ton of stuff to read on the right hand side links.

IR35 is your problem, not the clients or agents so no, you don't speak to either of them about it. All you need to do is negotiate with the agent to make sure your contract is outside.. which I very much doubt this one will be. If the agreement is a rolling contract then they aren't going to change the engagement just to suit your tax situation. They may alter some clauses but you've got to make sure it's the working practice as well, not just the contract.

Of course the agent is paying you. Again, you really need to understand your relationship with all parties better.

Are you sure you are keen on running a business with this level of research and knowledge? I'd seriously speak to a brolly and get some numbers. I suspect it will be down to how much travel you do but really, go speak to an umbrella at the very least.

I am very surprised they have different rates for brolly vs LTD. Not heard of that before. You can try negotiate but they do this for a living, you seem to be struggling. Unless you really are prepared to drop the gig, which you aren't, you are wasting your time. Do NOT use their umbrella.. Give Lucy at ContractorUmbrella a ring.

Don't ask the client what they are paying the agency. They won't tell you and it's not going to impress them. That is an agreement between them. You'll probably find out at some point when you are on site.

You really need to do a little more reading and try and understand your business, it's relationship and some common sense around the situation. It's not rocket science but there can be a lot of detail, and we haven't gotten to that yet.
              Thanks for the advice. Will do more reading.... just spoken to someone in parasol and their quote for LTD with and without IR35 is not bad.

Comment

Rolling contracts do more than 'look like' inside.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Will do more reading.... just spoken to someone in parasol and their quote for LTD with and without IR35 is not bad.
                  Forget Parasol. Speak to Lucy at Contractor Umbrella. She posts on here regularly. Have a look in the umbrella section. It's virtually run by them and are always posting advice and support us.

Do a search on the forums for Parasol. You might find the same can't be said for them.

Comment

Forget Parasol. Speak to Lucy at Contractor Umbrella. She posts on here regularly. Have a look in the umbrella section. It's virtually run by them and are always posting advice and support us.

Do a search on the forums for Parasol. You might find the same can't be said for them.
                    did you mean Lucy Smith?

Comment

did you mean Lucy Smith?
                      Dunno, I'm only allowed to call her Ma'am or My Lady. She'd chop my balls off if she knew I was using her first name on here...

But yes... I believe so.. anyone at the company can help I guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X